Devs Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

The lead character's utterly charmless performance aside, I really enjoyed the first four episodes.

Then I seemed to hit a wall for me. I got through the next episode, but I cant even crawl to the finish line. Great premise with some really well done surreal moments and a cracking performance from Nick Offerman.

The story has lost its way though in my opinion...plus, I'm really struggling with that lead character I must say. She's a really poor actress & I wonder how much better this series could have been with a lead capable of actually emoting, rather than this lifeless woman who looks more suited to running a vegan cafe...

Have to agree that I was surprised too at the acting of the lead on this, odd as it’s not like she’s a newbie and the director obviously sees something in her as he’s cast her in a few of his films. Maybe it’s not her acting but this was just how the character was? Can there be a season 2 with an ending like that?

Maybe it’s not her acting but this was just how the character was?

I think that might be it. The character she played had more life to begin with but seemed to become more drained as the series went on. Perhaps not surprising as:

Firstly her boyfriend disappeared, then appeared to have committed suicide then it became apparent he was murdered by her employer. Then somone was out to kill her too. Then her new boyfriend was killed in her apartment. On top of all that, she discovered that life itself was fixed in predetermined “tramlines” and realised that anything she said or did wasn’t out of the spontaneous free-will she previously assumed it was. All a bit of a bummer really.

Just finished the final episode, and I loved it.

Great series from start to finish. Not going to be for everyone, casual viewers won’t like it, but I sure as hell did.

Would love more shows like this.

for me 8.5/10

Half way thorough and enjoying it so far.

I have to agree about the lead female character, not a great performance and not a personality I’m able to buy into.

Really enjoyable. I think it is great as 8 tidy episodes. Personally I hope they keep it there as I can't see following for season 2...3. It works to be a short series that was well tied off.

Really enjoyable. I think it is great as 8 tidy episodes. Personally I hope they keep it there as I can't see following for season 2...3. It works to be a short series that was well tied off.

I agree, but if it’s well received and watched I wouldn’t be surprised to see another.

While that story arch is pretty much complete, I could see them using the machine/computer for something else with a whole different set of characters.

If you enjoyed the series, as I certainly did, it's worth doing a little background reading, especially any interviews with Garland. The rabbit hole goes deeper than it may seem ;)

For instance, the actor that plays Lyndon? Is actually an actress, she'll be 23 in July

If you enjoyed the series, as I certainly did, it's worth doing a little background reading, especially any interviews with Garland. The rabbit hole goes deeper than it may seem ;)

For instance, the actor that plays Lyndon? Is actually an actress, she'll be 23 in July
At no point in the story did I ever think that Lyndon was being played by a male actor. It irked me every time she was on screen.

I enjoyed the series but to a certain extent you have to watch it with your critical facilities turned off as much of it made no logical sense.

I enjoyed the series but to a certain extent you have to watch it with your critical facilities turned off as much of it made no logical sense.

Oh it was completely bonkers alright. Thankfully it was carried off by the (mostly) good casting and soundtrack etc.

Also the whole thing with Kenton made little sense, it was almost a separate sub plot that I don’t think was fully enough explained before he was killed. Was he just a crazy loose cannon I did I miss something?

I really enjoyed this series and its surreal atmosphere. The photography was beautiful, the choice of music unusual and the ideas very interesting and thought-provoking. I didn't mind the slow pace or somewhat "robotic" acting. I think that we need more series like this one. :)

Excellent series. Looked and sounded incredible. Great acting. Kenton is an amazing “monster”. Good characters and acting.

some pretty significant logical flaws and faulty premises and a bit pleased with itself - but I really didn’t mind that much. This is the kind of tv I want to see - pushing the format while being fun.

Finished last night. Really loved the whole story and production. I first didn't like Lilly, but think it was deliberately low-fi rather than wooden acting. Similar to Tom Hiddleston in the Night Manager. I thought much of the look and sound reminded me of 2001, especially the parts showing the computer set up and the dead mouse.

I'd heard a story that Spielberg wrote a letter to Garland to say how much he's enjoyed it and that if Kubrick was around he would have loved it.

MB

Devs is now on Star (Disney+) in 4k, HDR

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom