Devs Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

Depending how you lean the 2nd episode might put you off; however stick with it, as while predictable in many respects, it certainly gets you hooked with plenty of twists.

Bill

with the lockdown at the moment I have loads of time on my hands, so I watched the whole lot in one day.... bloody marvellous, one of the best I have seen for a long time, much better than recent Picard, and that is coming from a Trekkie.

with the lockdown at the moment I have loads of time on my hands, so I watched the whole lot in one day.... bloody marvellous, one of the best I have seen for a long time, much better than recent Picard, and that is coming from a Trekkie.
Same! I watched Episode one and thought" Yes I will carry on watching this!". Six hours, eight Episodes of 50 minutes each more or less each, I finished!😁

I enjoyed it very much, especially the soundscape bursting out of my AV in mock-surround (iPlayer's still only stereo:(), however, the one thing that really irked me the whole way through was that the character of Lyndon is supposed to be a 19 year old young man but is played by a 23 Y/O woman. Her body shape was nothing like a man's and it just kept throwing me out of the story every time she was on screen. Weird casting choice.

I enjoyed it very much, especially the soundscape bursting out of my AV in mock-surround (iPlayer's still only stereo:(), however, the one thing that really irked me the whole way through was that the character of Lyndon is supposed to be a 19 year old young man but is played by a 23 Y/O woman. Her body shape was nothing like a man's and it just kept throwing me out of the story every time she was on screen. Weird casting choice.
I assumed she was transitioning and wanted to be recognised as a he. Awesome series, really enjoyed it.

It was OK, but not great. Certainly not a patch on ex-machina. I found it quite predictable and a bit tedious to be honest.

Worth a watch I guess.

Wife & I have just sat through this. 4 episodes over 2 consecutive evenings. Pretty hooked after first 2 episodes but then became a little too slow and stodgy with the dialogue in just about every scene. Trying to deal with large complex scientific / quantum issues but finale did not quite hit the spot with either of us. Loved the set design, sound and imagery (The “wall” especially).
Ex-Machina far better and thought provoking.This felt liked that film mixed with the Matrix but without all the action,fight scenes or gun play!.
Worth a watch but probably a bit marmite for most I suspect.

Wow! Who let Alex Garland off the leash with a big budget, cerebral TV drama series whilst no-one was looking?

I accidently watched the first five episodes on Saturday evening on BBC iPlayer after forgetting to set it to record on my Sky box. Would have watched the whole lot in one sitting, but I started too late in the evening and was struggling to keep up with the plot. Glad I decided to leave the last 3 episodes until last night when I could give it my full attention.

Not quite sure how/why the BBC ended up with this masterpiece as it's a long way from their usual fare, as such dissapointed that it was only 720p / Stereo audio, but the visuals and soundtrack were still stunning.

Still getting my head around some of the plot points, science and philosophy; despite its complexity, it does actually hold together.

Bravo Mr Garland, bravo!

3 eps in ...

:clap: Absolutely hooked! Wanna watch more but I’m shattered, save em all for tomorrow evening :thumbsup:

I finished this last night. Was a pretty decent watch but I'm not overly impressed with the ending but I'm not entirely sure where I'd want it to go.

Usual type of "what if" questions. I don't understand the whole bridge thing with Kate. "We seen this happen" so your going to do it and I'm going to tell you what to do. Seemed a little like lemmings to me.

Only seen first episode on Freeview so far; love the visuals and sound but not yet gripped - Sonoya Mizuno as Lily isn't exactly interesting to watch. Nevertheless I love Ex Machina, Shadow Line and despite issues with characters/dialogue also enjoyed Annihilation with its original interpretation of a beautifully creative alien lifeform. So looking forward to this reeling me in and leaving me to attempt to answer some questions. :confused:

Watched it and enjoyed it but had a few reservations

- was it really necessary to film Sonoya Mizuno in her underwear at least once every episode? It soon got a bit obvious (didn’t this happen in ex-machina as well?)

- No matter how worthy and cool the soundtrack, I find that bombing-in familiar (and sometimes not so familiar) songs in such a very overt and unsubtle way tends to detract from the content for me. A bit like too much salt and pepper added to an otherwise fine meal.

- Although I followed the concept of what the Devs team had achieved, in practical terms it just seems too unlikely in anything like the near future. E.g. to know everything about everything down to a quantum level at, say, microsecond granularity would probably require more bits of data than atoms in the universe ... even to simulate just one second

I do have a couple of questions though if anyone has any thoughts:

- Why could the quantum computer not predict the future beyond the events of “that” evening? Surely the real world continued as before?

- In the ending, it’s implied that Lilly and Forest have been implanted into the simulations of every strand of the multiverse (and onscreen we are seeing just one of the simulated ”worlds”) but surely to simulate an infinite number of universes would require an infinite number of quantum computers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks forv the Review, Cas. Will wait for this to drop on somewhere in Germany, it sounds interesting.
You really want to watch it dubbed into German? o_O And then possibly aired in a late night slot on whatever network and even cut with commercials? :eek: Three little letters, my friend - VPN. Which is morally wrong and a legal grey area, and so could well stop you sleeping comfortably at night. You have been warned!

Last edited:
Ah, Kenton is ex CIA, that explains his skills!😉
It certainly explains his leaving a trail so long and wide that even the local police would find it!

Last edited:
Not quite sure how/why the BBC ended up with this masterpiece as it's a long way from their usual fare, as such dissapointed that it was only 720p / Stereo audio, but the visuals and soundtrack were still stunning.
Given the onscreen logos at the end of the crawl, FX and DNA, I would presume that the BBC licensed it more than it has a hand in the actual production. It's not a cheap series, the production values are lavish, it's not what the BBC does.

Ahh the true spiritual successor to Robocop!

The most fat-free, totally enjoyable action film of the last twenty years in my opinion.
One of my favourite films! Let's not mention the Stallone version (AV Forums, if there was ever a place for a throwing up Smilie, it's here). Given just how low the budget was, they did a fantastic job. I watched it on a flight to Dubai one time and the kid next to me slowly angled his seat back and watched along, his parents completely oblivious.

You really want to watch it dubbed into German? o_O And then possibly aired in a late night slot on whatever network and even cut with commercials? :eek: Three little letters, my friend - VPN. Which is morally wrong and a legal grey area, and so could well stop you sleeping comfortably at night. You have been warned!
Lol! They have come a long way since I moved here 21 years ago. No, I would watch it in English, either on Amazon Prime.de or Maxdome, both of which give the English Soundtrack option on many titles. Not a great liker of regular TV with commercials. Probably not tuned into a Channel for two years!

Watched it and enjoyed it but had a few reservations

- was it really necessary to film Sonoya Mizuno in her underwear at least once every episode? It soon got a bit obvious (didn’t this happen in ex-machina as well?)

- No matter how worthy and cool the soundtrack, I find that bombing-in familiar (and sometimes not so familiar) songs in such a very overt and unsubtle way tends to detract from the content for me. A bit like too much salt and pepper added to an otherwise fine meal.

- Although I followed the concept of what the Devs team had achieved, in practical terms it just seems too unlikely in anything like the near future. E.g. to know everything about everything down to a quantum level at, say, microsecond granularity would probably require more bits of data than atoms in the universe ... even to simulate just one second

I do have a couple of questions though if anyone has any thoughts:

- Why could the quantum computer not predict the future beyond the events of “that” evening? Surely the real world continued as before?

- In the ending, it’s implied that Lilly and Forest have been implanted into the simulations of every strand of the multiverse (and onscreen we are seeing just one of the simulated ”worlds”) but surely to simulate an infinite number of universes would require an infinite number of quantum computers?

Re. your questions:
1. True, the future would have continued in that universe, but things happen because they are in the script. And I do believe Forest mentioned they could now look as far ahead as they could back.
2. Not at all. One computer doing all the work, multi-tasking. But each one of those multiverses might or might not have a quantum computer and the one Lilly ended up had no Devs; the field was empty.

Lol! They have come a long way since I moved here 21 years ago. No, I would watch it in English, either on Amazon Prime.de or Maxdome, both of which give the English Soundtrack option on many titles. Not a great liker of regular TV with commercials. Probably not tuned into a Channel for two years!
Does Amazon Prime.de of Maxdome have it? So many platforms these days it is impossible to keep up and how many subscriptions can a person afford and juggle? There are sometimes fantastic shows but on 'this' instead of 'that' platform and only so much time to watch things anyway; can't catch 'em all :(

Does Amazon Prime.de of Maxdome have it? So many platforms these days it is impossible to keep up and how many subscriptions can a person afford and juggle? There are sometimes fantastic shows but on 'this' instead of 'that' platform and only so much time to watch things anyway; can't catch 'em all :(
I honestly have not looked - I've got so much other stuff to work through right now.
Prime is great for us for the free delivery & the programmes they offer, & Maxdome is included in our Cable/Phone/internet package. We keep away from all the other Subscriptions as they add up so fast!

Re. your questions:
1. True, the future would have continued in that universe, but things happen because they are in the script. And I do believe Forest mentioned they could now look as far ahead as they could back.
2. Not at all. One computer doing all the work, multi-tasking. But each one of those multiverses might or might not have a quantum computer and the one Lilly ended up had no Devs; the field was empty.

Thanks for your thoughts Ripsnorter.

1. Yes, I did think it might have been a plot device for resolving the conundrum of not revealing what happens at the end before getting to the ending :) I missed the bit where Forest mentions they could now look ahead as far as they could back. Might rewatch the final episode again

2. I think even a Quantum computer (of which processing power is still finite) would struggle to simulate everything about everything, down to the quantum level for just one “world”, so might struggle with many, if not an infinite number of worlds. Just my thoughts. Hadn’t realised that the field that Lily and Forest were in was the “Devs” field with the Devs building missing. There’s probably some significance to that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom