Devs Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

Ripsnorter

Thanks for your thoughts Ripsnorter.

1. Yes, I did think it might have been a plot device for resolving the conundrum of not revealing what happens at the end before getting to the ending :) I missed the bit where Forest mentions they could now look ahead as far as they could back. Might rewatch the final episode again

2. I think even a Quantum computer (of which processing power is still finite) would struggle to simulate everything about everything, down to the quantum level for just one “world”, so might struggle with many, if not an infinite number of worlds. Just my thoughts. Hadn’t realised that the field that Lily and Forest were in was the “Devs” field with the Devs building missing. There’s probably some significance to that.
Having thought about it a bit more ...
1. I think the computer showed only one world but there were any number of others out there as well, hence the multiverse, viz. Lyndon getting sacked after whatever he had done opened the possibility of all those multiverses instead of only the one that Kenton was after (the conversation about the accuracy of the hairs on Jesus' head).

2. In that end universe Devs is no longer needed and nor can it pose any threat. Lilly is still with Sergei and Jaimie is also still alive, as well as Kenton being reunited with his wife and child. It's a happy ending for all converned.
And your previous comment ... Absolutely. It's in her contract: Sonoya Mizuno has to be in her underwear at least once in every episode.

Glen1977

Finished watching it last night.
Great concept/theory and yeah slow in parts but overall I’d give it 7/10. So when those 2 died in the real world how did get transported to the sim?

Last edited by a moderator:

kahlua

Great concept/theory and yeah slow in parts but overall I’d give it 7/10. So when those 2 died in the real world how did get transported to the sim?
maybe want to spoiler that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ripsnorter

If I knew how I would have done it!
You would think AV Forums would have a no-brainer way of doing this, an icon or something in the symbol bar. So far I copy the commands from previous posts and paste them in rather than faff around trying to find the square bracket symbol etc; hardly the most user friendly way of doing it.

Evinger

If I knew how I would have done it!
You would think AV Forums would have a no-brainer way of doing this, an icon or something in the symbol bar. So far I copy the commands from previous posts and paste them in rather than faff around trying to find the square bracket symbol etc; hardly the most user friendly way of doing it.
Choose the text you want to hide.
Then just to the right of the "smiley face" in the answer bar is the three dots Icon. If you click on the inverted triangle to its right, all the possibilities, including "spoiler" come up. Click on it and you have the choice of hiding the chosen text as "Spoiler", or even giving it a name.
I could not find it first time until another kind poster told me.
Hope that helps!

Fritz519

Novice Member
thanks Casimir, I also give it a double thumbs up.. I am intrigued by the similarity of the plot shared with "Westworld". A Super computer that can predict everything or look into the future (but only so far before it fails)...

the Devs security guy is a bit over the top... I also noticed the name DEUS used in Mr. Robot too ... I love these crossover plots. Its as if the different writers for high budget SciFi shows get together at a bar and spill the beans (plot) to the other writers.

Tim2049

Just finished the first episode and very impressed overall. Only thing I disagree with in this review is the acting. Whilst Offerman is really good & brings some much needed gravitas, the girlfriend/'new' protagonist is pretty weak in my opinion. She lacks subtlety & comes across like a ten-a-penny 'Netflix actress' to me. The scene with her & her ex in the cafe felt like a first year drama class.

Great set design & atmospherics that's for sure. Garland is really cementing his own style here.

Really looking forward to seeing where this goes & hoping it doesn't sh*t the bed in the third act, like so many do...

Spoonman2

Hooked from beginning to the end, superb stuff IMHO

Thanks for the review, it’s the reason I tried it 👍🏻

Belzok

I enjoyed it on the whole, liked the slow deliberate pace.

Not a massive fan of the kid jumping off the dam, just daft. To prove the point not even getting over the rail would have worked

nickkuk

IMHO this is the best thing that has been on the BBC in years, I would love a second series, they could branch off in so many different interesting directions.

Garrett

Be a no brainer if peeps read how in the sticky at the top of the forum which says please read before posting, but then blame others when things go wrong!
Adding spoilers.jpg

Garrett

Ripsnorter

Choose the text you want to hide.
Then just to the right of the "smiley face" in the answer bar is the three dots Icon. If you click on the inverted triangle to its right, all the possibilities, including "spoiler" come up. Click on it and you have the choice of hiding the chosen text as "Spoiler", or even giving it a name.
I could not find it first time until another kind poster told me.
Hope that helps!
Danke dir, ich weiß es sehr zu schätzen :thumbsup:

Ripsnorter

Be a no brainer if peeps read how in the sticky at the top of the forum which says please read before posting, but then blame others when things go wrong!
View attachment 1288600
Since I lack your knowledge and experience, and I am clearly not the only one as evidenced by other posts in this thread, what sticky is that and where is it exactly because I am still to find it? I stand by my original comment: you do not make it easy. If you can put bold, italics, underscore and smilies in the toolbar then you can certainly put the Spoiler flag there as well, especially given it is of more importance.

Garrett

Wow didn’t know there was a spoiler police department on here!
No but like clubs that have rules we don't like members breaking them.
There a rule not to post spoiler which you knew as you said you would have done so but because you did not know how went ahead in did it, knowing it could ruin it for other members and I had to come to the thread and spoiler it because I received a complaint about it.

Garrett

Since I lack your knowledge and experience, and I am clearly not the only one as evidenced by other posts in this thread, what sticky is that and where is it exactly because I am still to find it? I stand by my original comment: you do not make it easy. If you can put bold, italics, underscore and smilies in the toolbar then you can certainly put the Spoiler flag there as well, especially given it is of more importance.
It's the very first post you see every time you enter this TV forum or or did or must have at some point about posting Spoilers in the last 5 years.
Well I'm not the developer of the forum but there was help there for those that took the time to read it, rather than ignore it.
Sticky.jpg

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Moving away from technical discussions of spoilers to addressing your initial question...

They had all the data of Lily and Forest in the sim already. So it looks like they reinserted Forest with his knowledge up to his death at the point where his daughter originally died, and Lily at the point where the series began. Then the simulation continues. That's the main thing to take away at the end - it is a simulation - but they are also, for all intents and purposes, real down to their atoms.

But there are more questions. Now that the "multiverse" is accepted, are there multiple sims (as seen by the changing lighting in the field)? And for future series, what could the applications of the sim be?

Generally though, I loved it. I did find a 5.1 version of it as the stereo iPlayer felt like a substandard version and I'm very glad I did - the soundtrack was a huge part of the show. Offerman (Forest) was excellent, as were Zach Grenier (Kinton) and Alison Pill (Katie). But I didn't think Sonoya Mizuno as Lily was terribly good, unfortunately. She's been far better elsewhere and didn't quite gel here, I thought.

Definitely up for a second series.

Last edited:

MarcoDB

Were all of the events in the story themselves a simulation?

Forest(?) commented that once they'd fixed the simulation that they then realised that the simulation itself contained a building with a another simulation inside that, which contained a building with another simulation inside that ...

So it's turtles all the way down!

One of the possible ways that quantum computers could be capable of simultaneously performing multiple calculations is that they are performing the operations in other universes (many worlds).

This recursive simulation is a nice twist on that hypothesis as it raises the question of whether the simulations of the simulations could be performing the caclulations? Rick & Morty explored that in "The Ricks Must Be Crazy"

There are practical(?) issues with the infinite amount of information (which requires an infinite amount of energy) for those infinite universes, but it's an interesting question to raise.

The answer is that you probably can't simulate the universe for precisely that reason or as Douglas Adams so eloquently put it:

“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”
― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Fritz519

Novice Member
... any quote from "Hitchhiker's guide is ok by me, and settles everything , thanks :)
also, been totally inspired by the
ringed forest lighting (testing spoiler feature first time, lol)
. I have a small stand of similar pine trees at home to test some similar custom made rope/led lighting project, while stuck at home.

lestes

Novice Member
Glad this was mentioned in the Podcast. Last night I watched the final episode, which was equally as strong as throughout. I'm not sure if I want another season. It feels like a complete package. Perhaps 8 individual hour long episodes is the perfect balance. Watching 8 doesn't feel like a black hole or vortex of time. Well done. Thanks for the recommendation.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 18th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton