Devs Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
My wife won't watch stuff with fighting etc
You may have to be more specific. It's violent in bursts, certainly not graphically so, but still violent like the previous Alex Garland features - Ex Machina in particular.

Fighting? No, it's not Bourne. It's a slow-burning cerebral sci-fi mystery thriller with such brooding intensity it often boils over into horror territory. Hopefully she'll be ok with that.

white91

Is there a way to get this is 4K? I kinda wish Netflix had picked this up if its only available in 720p, yet another reason I dislike paying for something that still thinks we all have CRT displays

Khankat

I am enjoying this and have two episodes under my belt. I sincerely hope it doesn't get too clever for itself, leaving the viewer exasperated.

TaurusDevil

I am enjoying this and have two episodes under my belt. I sincerely hope it doesn't get too clever for itself, leaving the viewer exasperated.
I'm 6 episodes in, its great! It all clicks into place too😉👍

TaurusDevil

Flipping heck! What a twist in Episode 7! The homeless guy is a Russian agent! 😯😁😎

TaurusDevil

I just watched all 8 episodes in one day,I won't do that again. But flipping heck, it's a good show!😯😉👍

MEGATAMA

Didnt know about this,thanks.
I apriciate infos and reviews of tv shoes and movies from avforums,keep good work.

GT One

Put simply,
Devs is a story about a techno cult of super geniuses who build a super AI computer controlled by a super rich sociopath who wants to change the past. It's not really new, 'Fringe' probably did the same theme in a much more easy to understand and entertaining way, with mad scientist Walter simply wanting his dead son back but unwittingly starting a chain reaction multi-universe apocalyptic event.
There are a lot of philosophical curiosities for the viewer though, and some gaps in the plot not satisfactorily explained, especially considering the complexity of the shows ethereal premise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gambit1977

Only watched one episode so far - the visuals and music are both impressive. Will keep watching as interesting take on the tech world - george
There are some absolutely beautifully shot moments as the season goes on.

brian s

Distinguished Member
We started watching last night. My wife hated it and won't be watching it anymore. I watched the second episode after she went to bed. It didn't work that well for me. It won't nave been helped by the hate vibes emanating from my wife and I was probably too tired for the second one. I'll probably stick with it but I'll have trouble making time to watch as it'll have to be when my wife's not there.

@GT One spoilers please.

Bri

TaurusDevil

We started watching last night. My wife hated it and won't be watching it anymore. I watched the second episode after she went to bed. It didn't work that well for me. It won't nave been helped by the hate vibes emanating from my wife and I was probably too tired for the second one. I'll probably stick with it but I'll have trouble making time to watch as it'll have to be when my wife's not there.

@GT One spoilers please.

Bri
You have to give it more than two episodes!

brian s

Distinguished Member
You have to give it more than two episodes!
Oh the number of times I've stuck with shows waiting for them to deliver. I said I'll probably stick with it but I have loads of stuff to watch both on my hard drive and from my unwatched pile of discs that I can sit through with my wife.

Bri

TaurusDevil

Oh the number of times I've stuck with shows waiting for them to deliver. I said I'll probably stick with it but I have loads of stuff to watch both on my hard drive and from my unwatched pile of discs that I can sit through with my wife.

Bri
I wasted 6 hours of yesterday on Devs. It's good but so stupid and unbelievable at the same time!

Pic

try and get a Amazon US copy. 1080p and Dolby Digital Plus

Valen

Word has it, Alex Garland actually directed Dredd! (2012 version)

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
Thank you Cas!

This appears to be right up my street :D

Ex Machina is definitely in my top 30 Sci-Fi films, And was one of the best films I watched that year.

And what a great year it was for Sci-fi, We also had the excellent The Martian, Still a firm favourite of mine. And Fury Road was quite enjoyable too (This being one of the first films I recall having dolby atmos?)

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Word has it, Alex Garland actually directed Dredd! (2012 version)
Interesting. Wasn't even aware of Garland's involvement with that film until your post. I thought it was an excellent action film. Wouldn't mind seeing it again, actually.

@Gambit1977 Totally agree. The cinematography is excellent at times. My favourite shot is probably the one of Forest and Katie chilling in front of the projection of the cavemen. Something so soothing and awe-inspiring about it, especially in the context of the shot, i.e. that we've gone from sheltering in caves for tens of thousands of years to building an entire universe inside a box, something Forest points out to Katie via dialogue.

gfplux

Watched first episode. Did not enjoy it at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom