Devs Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

Ripsnorter

This! Totally this! Proof it is possible to make a gripping, exciting as well as intelligent and thought provoking series. This is the real deal as opposed to the ones that just lip-sync it.

kahlua

thanks cas,have watched the first 2 episodes and loving the dark slow burn,great score and visuals in 5.1 as well. :D

ggwoodland

Only watched one episode so far - the visuals and music are both impressive. Will keep watching as interesting take on the tech world - george

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas for highlighting/review.

If it anywhere near as good as The Shadow Line, I’m in for a big treat, I don’t think much (on the BBC) has surpassed it.

enigma1701

Garland really lost it for me with Annihilation.

Cautiously optimistic about this series. Good write up, cheers!
Yeh I never enjoyed Annihilation either. After this glowing review I might as well take a look at this!

Panavision

The first episode lacked emotion despite what happened with Sergei. I will watch more to see if it improves.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
If one of the things that bugged you about Annihilation was that nobody talked like a human being, there's a little of that to squirm through in episode 1 but it's not too bad.
Garland is GREAT on ideas, but seems a bit patchy on dialogue.

Also here to go to bat for his book Coma which is short and very smart.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Deffo check this out with Better Call Saul finishing next week.

Tim2049

If one of the things that bugged you about Annihilation was that nobody talked like a human being, there's a little of that to squirm through in episode 1 but it's not too bad.
Garland is GREAT on ideas, but seems a bit patchy on dialogue.

Also here to go to bat for his book Coma which is short and very smart.
Totally agree. Garland conjures up some seriously interesting concepts but frequently fails to deliver in terms of dialogue and characterisation..

I have the same issue with Christopher Nolan actually, but I appreciate that won't be a popular opinion...

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
Finished all 8 episodes.
Brilliant
Different
Thinking
Original

9/10

Kenton is NUTS...

Kotatsu Neko

Interesting, I may have to check this out. I really, really wish it wasn't on iPlayer though. 720p, stereo sound, compression set to ridiculous level, and everything expires after a random time. Using iPlayer is like going back in time by at least a decade.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Thanks Cas for highlighting/review.

If it anywhere near as good as The Shadow Line, I’m in for a big treat, I don’t think much (on the BBC) has surpassed it.
Nothing will really touch Blick on form, he's like the UK Mamet (for good and bad, as can be seen by some of his other productions), but it made me think of Shadow Line in tempo and underlying threat level, and occasionally even in dialogue, although nowhere near as distinctive.

Hope you enjoy.

Now you've made me want to watch Shadow Line again...

nitram_tpr

I'm 3 episodes in and me and the missus are both hooked, she's more into vintage / period dramas but surprisingly really likes this. I didn't read the review as I wasn't sure how spoilery it was. Episode 1 was a 7 for me but 2 and 3 have both been 8.5s. I didn't like Lily up till the end of episode 3, I thought she was a lightweight whiny thing but I've changed my mind now. Let's see how it goes.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I'm 3 episodes in and me and the missus are both hooked, she's more into vintage / period dramas but surprisingly really likes this. I didn't read the review as I wasn't sure how spoilery it was. Episode 1 was a 7 for me but 2 and 3 have both been 8.5s. I didn't like Lily up till the end of episode 3, I thought she was a lightweight whiny thing but I've changed my mind now. Let's see how it goes.
No spoilers mate, never like em. You get more spoilers from the back cover of a Blu-ray than you do in my reviews.

And agree the main character was a slow-burn in and of herself, but I liked that.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Nothing will really touch Blick on form, he's like the UK Mamet (for good and bad, as can be seen by some of his other productions), but it made me think of Shadow Line in tempo and underlying threat level, and occasionally even in dialogue, although nowhere near as distinctive.

Hope you enjoy.

Now you've made me want to watch Shadow Line again...
Maybe I will finally trial Britbox ;) !
shadow.PNG

encaser

I love Nick Offerman and liked him in this a lot but Sonoya Mizuno is terribly wooden and brought it down for me at times - appearing like a theatre college student struggling with emotional weight. The writing is patchy too on basic things like information integrity, security aspects of surveillance and protection; that a 15 year old would scoff at, let alone supposed industry insiders/programmers and interested government officials in just what is on offer and/or to be possibly acquired.
However, when I took it more with the conceptual feel and wow factor of what is being attempted, it ran more smoothly in mind. I couldn't help but compare what was on show thematically to Legions, which, for better or worse, gave me pause.

TaurusDevil

Great show! I'm currently working my way through season one , I'm on episode 3😉

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
After watching the finale earlier I think it's a little uneven in quality and execution on the whole. There are certainly some great ideas to chew over in Devs but I don't think they all add up to tell a great story. It's certainly a decent one though. In fact, the biblical allegory side of the story is less satisfying to me than the human side, and in the end it seems that more importance is placed on the former rather than the latter. Forest's attempts to absolve himself of blame and agency for the death and destruction of his family engaged me more than the slow reveal of Lily being equated with Eve and Lilith from the Bible.

Stewart was my favourite character. Has a big role to play at the end too. Lyndon was decent too. His scenes with Stewart were good.

Evinger

Thanks forv the Review, Cas. Will wait for this to drop on somewhere in Germany, it sounds interesting.

TaurusDevil

Ah, Kenton is ex CIA, that explains his skills!😉

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom