Question Devore Velvet fabric on ceiling?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by derekhansen, Nov 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Just wondering if anyone has successfully applied this on to a plasterboard ceiling. If so was it stretched over a panel or applied directly to the surface with some sort of wallpaper paste or glue?

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,466
    For the area of the ceiling that was plasterboard, I made up frames using something like 12mm x 28mm that were glued and stapled together, and drilled some holes in the frames for screws. The fabric was stretched and stapled to the frame. I then used black plasterboard screws to screw them carefully onto the ceiling. I say carefully as plasterboard isn't very good for screwing into but provided you don't strip the thread that you make in the plasterboard its a secure fixing. If you unscrew them for any reason they probably won't screw back very well though

For the soffits, I uses slightly larger wood (32 x 28mm I think) as they had to cover and hide speakers and downlighters (those frames were glued and screwed). Those were held using velcro because it was easy to staple the velcro to the soffits which were made of wood. I did try relying on just the sticky that was on the velcro but some didn't stay put, so i stapled the velcro onto the soffits and frames. They may have to be removed should I need to replace the speakers or lights at any time.

With the larger wood, you can hide 25mm or 30mm Rockwool behind it if you wanted some treatment up there as well, but then you will need screws for sure. I used screws near the screen and they have stayed there for the past 10 months or so.

3. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply Gary. Sounds like panels are the best way to go. Trying to glue the fabric direct would probably be a nightmare anyway.
    Can you also help with another concern, namely just how transparent the Devore is. I am concerned that the frame or background may be visible through the material?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,466
    I'm using a different black velvet to Devore, but I didn't paint the wood black, it was left bare. My room doesn't have much lighting so it's difficult to see much of anything. You could experiment by making a small frame and covering it and see what it's like. I used some Maplin speaker grill felt on some frames that were to replace some doors in an av cabinet, and that's in the lounge - on brighter days I can see the wooden frames behind the material, so in that case with that material I would have painted the frames black.

I guess to be sure, paint the wood black anyway, and then you know it will never be seen.

One other thing - like I mentioned, I used black screws and you can't see them in my room, but there are two that I used to fix a column to the wall and they were visible, so what I did was to use some velcro 'buttons' that I had over, and stuck them to the screws. The buttons aren't as black as the velvet, but they don't stand out like the screws did and it's a neat and tidy finish.

Just remembered - I did staple the cloth directly to the plasterboard at one place (around part of a ceiling beam), but found it tricky to do, especially on your own. The staples, being at the corners, were hidden by panels. I wouldn't like to have to do that on larger areas. On one place (support beam for the ceiling RSJ) I cut up a piece of mdf (3mm or 6mm, can't remember) and wrapped that in velvet, then used two screws (top and bottom) to fix it to the beam. You can 'hollow out' the mdf to make it lighter b cutting the middle part so you end up with a frame, especially if you want to add it to a beam on the ceiling (I think I did that too now that I think about it...)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  5. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,434
    if you look back in the Devore thread, very early, i show how i attached Devore to some very light wooden frames which I then velcro'd up onto both walls and ceiling. They have been up their now i'd say at least 6-7 years and never budged

Allan

6. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Sounds pretty much what I had planned.
    I have ordered the Devore for the screen wall and 1m each for the side walls by the screen. I have already painted the ceiling black and the Devore is not cheap so I have decided to see how the ceiling looks and if there is too much reflection from the screen I can fit panels fabric panels at a later date.

7. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    My ceiling has fabric on it. Was a good upgrade. There are a lot reflections from the ceiling.

8. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    How did you apply the fabric to the ceiling?