Question Devore frames and power sockets / switches / light fittings

peter-d-w

If I line a home cinema room with Devore stapled on to wooden frames then what would be the best way to cater for power sockets, switches and light fittings? Does anyone have any photos of what they have done to deal with this problem please? I want to line the whole room including the ceiling.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Not the best way, but it worked for me and was easy to do. For sockets, I made a roughly 10 x 10 square hole in the wall frame so that the frame covered the wall but left an access hole to the double socket, then made a larger mdf cover (covered in the fabric) that velcro'd over the hole and hid the socket. I left an inch gap at the bottom (between cover and bottom of the hole) for cables to come out from. I painted the wall around the socket black so that no white was visible when you lifted the cover.

For the down lighters, I let them shine (dimly) through the fabric frames rather than spend time incorporating them into the frame - I was happy with the amount of light that provided. I have a slim 'box' that has three downlighters in it that sits proud of the centre of the ceiling and they provide the most light if needed via a separate remote circuit - a three way remote controlled switch box in the ceiling. One button on the remote does the soffit lights, and another does the the centre three, leaving a spare for something else if needed.

peter-d-w

Some good ideas there, thanks Gary. Did you install a skirting board around the room in front of the Devore frames?

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
The frames went from skirting to soffit, and I made a frame the size of the skirting to sit in front it and under the l frames so that the room could be converted back to a normal room just by removing the frames, and I didn't have to make the frames take into account the skirting thickness that way.

peter-d-w

Thanks, that's useful. Does the Devore on the ceiling frames sag at all? Did you have to use any additional fixings for the fabric? Do you have any photos please, including the soffit?

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I didn't use Devore, but another black velvet that was almost as good, so can't say for sure how the Devore would fare on the ceiling, but I would think that if you stretch and staple it to a frame as I did, it shouldn't sag.

I used black plasterboard screws to hold the ceiling frames in place, and velcro for the soffit frames. You can see the screws if you know where to look, but you can get velcro 'buttons' that can act as screw caps. They're not as black as the velvet, but work well enough to be invisible during a movie, which was all I was really concerned about.

Pics are difficult as everything is black and very little light, but if I remember, I'll see what I can do.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom