Devolo Magic 2 issues

ScottC25

Hi all,

Bought Devolo magic 2 Wifi poweline kit, as the old Powerlines we had were quite old, and didn't have the speed capacity to match current broadband speeds.

Have a virgin hub in modem only mode, and a TP link Archer VR2800 router.

Also bought two Magic 2 lan adapters so that some devices, including Sky Q boxes could be hard wired.

Without the Devolo Wifi adapter plugged in, wifi speed tests show download speeds of around 300 to 350mbps.

with the wifi adapter plugged in, this number is cut in half, and usually around 120 to 150 mbps download speed.

Is there something I have missed in the set up that would cause this to happen?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
How are you testing the speeds...?

Powerline communication is like Wi-Fi in that "only one thing at a time" can transmit across the mains circuit - the more plugs you have, the more data you want to transmit, the more competition there is for a transmit opportunity. IIRC the "master" plug moderates who's "turn" it is.

ScottC25

Just using speed test websites on laptops and mobile phones etc.

with the LAN Powerlines in place, wifi speed is unaffected, as I assume they are being provided by the TP link router, however as soon as the Magic 2 wifi adapter is plugged in upstairs, wifi speed across the whole house is cut in half, so its almost as if the Magic 2 Wifi plug is trying to feed the wifi to the whole house, rather than sharing the job with the router.

Don't actually need the wifi plug at the moment, so have taken it out of the mix, but it might be needed at some point in the future.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Wi-Fi is an "only one thing at a time can transmit" technology. The more things there are, the more they compete with each other for some "air time."

In a deployment with multiple Wi-Fi Access Points (AP's - all Wi-Fi is avails by AP's, albeit that they are built into lots of other things like routers and homeplugs) we create a "cellular" coverage pattern of multiple hotspots (almost always physically overlapping.) In order to reduce, ideally eliminate, the hotspots competing with each other for air time, one needs to pay attention to the radio channels each hotspot uses and try to confect a channel plan so that adjacent cells use different non-interfering radio channels. In small deployments I prefer to manually tune the channel plan and not let it "auto-tune." In the 2.4GHz waveband, choose channels from the set [1,6,11] in the 5GHz waveband (if you have it) just ensure they are different.

With a heterogenous equipment mix, the AP's (whatever they are built into) will not in any way "talk" (or cooperate) with each other, to do things like establish a channel plan, share information about who can hear each client the best, organise roaming hand offs and so on.

ScottC25

Not sure I understand much of that....

In simple terms, are you saying that ideally I need to make sure the router and the Magic 2 Wifi plug are using different channels?

I do have 2.4ghz and 5ghz, they show up as 2 separate networks when searching for wifi to connect to.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Yes, but it's not just "different" channels for 2.4GHz, they need to be "5 apart" hence, choose from the set [1,6,11] Ideally, you'd avoid any neighbours also.

ScottC25

Aha, ok, so if I can figure out how to do it, set the router at 1, and the Magic 2 Wifi plug at 11 for example?

And do similar for the 5g network as well?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom