Devolo dLAN data rate problems

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by codeplay87, Sep 6, 2012.

1. codeplay87

codeplay87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have had my 2 Devolo dLAN devices (dLAN 200 av mini, dLAN 200 av Wireless N) for over a year now and they have worked brilliantly up until around a week ago. I have got perfect 100mb+ speed back and forth between the 2 devices for this entire time in two different flats. However last week they started to show a transfer rate of less then 20mb. I have restarted and updated the firmware and also moved the plugs to other sockets with nothing else being plugged in beside them to check connectivity and still no difference. As I use this to stream video through the flat to different rooms this is causing problems when trying to watch anything. Are there any other steps that I can take to remedy the situation or to get them checked out?

Cheers everyone.

Andrew

2. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Have you plugged in any new electrical equipment, or moved something, or had any electrical work done recently?

3. codeplay87

codeplay87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None at all. Also another very weird part of it is that at around 12:20 am they suddenly get perfect transfer rates. So not sure what could be causing that?

4. theronkinator

theronkinator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Flat could be sharing wiring with other flats and someone else has started using them. They turn them off at night so your speeds recover.

5. codeplay87

codeplay87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought this could be the case. Is there anything I can do to get my speeds back? Also would I not see the other devices in the devolo cockpit if this was the case?

6. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,711
    When economy 7 kicks in...? Though lord knows how that would make anything better - if some E7 device was the culprit, surely one would expect it to get worse!

7. sennen

sennen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Surely the power would be separate for each flat, so you wouldn't be sharing any wiring. The signal is supposed to 'stop' at the meter, so nobody outside your ring main should see the signals.

I've used Devolo's for many years now; the only fault I had was with a broadband router that seemed to drag the network down and cause connectivity problems between dLan devices (some fell off the network completely). Resetting both the router and dLan used to solve it. This would happen once a week, on average. Replacing the router solved it for good.

My first thought would be something else faulty on the ring main in your flat causing some interference. Sounds like you've already tried testing with everything else unplugged. I'd also try changing network cables.

Also, this might be a dumb idea -- but could it be a heat issue? Perhaps one of the units has developed a fault and only works to capacity when the room temperature drops. Try sticking a desk fan next to the dLan adapter!