Devolo dLAN 550 Powerline WiFi Starter Kit Review

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Greg Hook, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
      Ratings:
      +10,347
    2. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +573
      Own a Develo dLan 500 and it has given good service to date. Ensure the master socket is not used for the router to increase performance as per set up guidelines. I have run a cat 6 cable under the carpet to a socket 3 metres away to provide sufficient distance. The wireless extender is great for use in the garden ( in the summer ) where we have a number of sockets.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    3. drlmiles

drlmiles
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      This article has perpetuated the idea that everything will work at the speed of the lowest common denominator, i.e. the lowest speed dLAN device. This USED to be true years ago, but has not applied for years. Here's what the dLAN FAQ says:
      "Yes, devolo products of different speed classes are fully compatible with each other. In a mixed network, each adapter connects to every other adapter at the highest possible speed. It does so independently of the other adapters in the network. In a network consisting of a 200 Mbps adapter and two 500 Mbps adapters, for example, the 200 Mbps adapter will connect to the 500 Mbps adapters at a speed of 200 Mbps. At the same time, the 500 Mbps adapters connect to each other at the full 500 Mbps.The only exception here is old devices with a speed of 14 and 85 Mbps. Unfortunately, these are not compatible with current products."

I have a mixture of 1200+, 500+ and 200 dLAN devices, and in practice, and on monitoring speeds in the Devolo Cockpit app or program, the adapters do work at their "correct" speeds (within the overall limitations of the technology, so you never get more than 400mbs from the pair of 1200s I have). Of course, if the dLAN device attached to your router is a 200 device, then everything will connect as a 200 device...

I've never seen any comments anywhere as to whether other manufacturers also offer "full" speed for a mixed device ratings setup. If only dLAN offer this, then they are worth the extra money.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    4. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +578
      Why would the device being connected to the router be a special case ? Don't you mean that access to the internet will be restricted to the throughput of the device connected to the router? Surely if the first statement is true then two other 1200bps capable powerline devices connected to two PCs would allow communications between the PCs at higher rates.

5. series1boy

series1boy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +64
      There is 1 thing that worries me with powerline networking; they do get warm and wandered if they are safe to leave switched on 24/7?

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
      Ratings:
      +10,347
      Yes, they are perfectly safe. They get no warmer than any other electrical item such as a router etc etc. I've got some that are permanently on and it's fine.

7. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +573
      My develos get slightly warm but it's nothing to worry about. I ensure nothing is very close/touching the units for signal/cooling reasons.

8. drlmiles

drlmiles
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      Yes, that's right, but for a lot of us that is the most important connection (for Netflix, streaming, internet gaming, etc).

9. drlmiles

drlmiles
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      One thing that does make a difference is plugging the devices directly into the power socket in the wall, and not into any extension cable. For that reason, it's worth considering ethernet over power devices that have a through power connection so that you can attach other mains devices (if you end up running out of power sockts like me)