Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit

zebredy

So we bought the above Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294

Question from a newby.

If I need more then 3 sockets in the future do I have to buy a whole new starter kit with two adaptors or just another adaptor with say 2 or 3 sockets on

I want 3 sockets for the living room, but when we sought out moving the other TV to the main bedroom I can see us possibly needing another 2-3 sockets.

mcspongy

The cheapest option is likely to be to buy a single socket homeplug and connect it to a switch. You can then connect multiple devices to the switch. You don't need to brand-match your switch but it will be convenient to keep to one brand of homeplug but not vital. You do want to ensure you get another 500Mb homeplug though.

zebredy

The cheapest option is likely to be to buy a single socket homeplug and connect it to a switch. You can then connect multiple devices to the switch. You don't need to brand-match your switch but it will be convenient to keep to one brand of homeplug but not vital. You do want to ensure you get another 500Mb homeplug though.

Think I get what you are saying, Is this the type of thing I am after and does it matter which one I go for

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Gig...1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1320069957&sr=1-9

Now I bought the starter kit do I basically connect an Ethernet cable from one of the three sockets in the second adaptor to the switch? How would that work for the Main bedroom as well as the living room (such rubbish signal in the flat, we think there is some sort of steel in the walls which does not help)

Sorry new to this, do I connect it with an Ethernet cable straight to the home hub or was I right the first time?

Last edited:

mcspongy

That switch will be fine.

You don't need to connect the switch to the homeplug with the 3 sockets, just connect that one directly to your devices in whichever of the two rooms you put it in. You'll connect your single port homeplug (from the starter kit) to you home hub. For the 2nd room you need another homeplug (single port) plus switch.

The only disadvantage of using a switch (which is effectively built into your 3-port homeplug) is that you need another socket to power it, but that may not bean issue if you have multiple devices plugged into an extension cable. You want to plug your homeplugs directly into the mains socket for best performance as you've probably already read.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom