devices connected via ethernet -> unmanaged switch -> LAN port on router not visible via wifi

boonstock

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a SKY wireless router, this has 4 LAN ports I have a basic netgear gigabit unmanaged network swtich I have a home with CAT5 cabling

I have a number of 'smart' TVs, a SONOS system consisting of 3 x SONOS AMPs and a Synology NAS.

Ideally, I want to connect as many devices as possible via LAN, for obvious reasons.

There's aren't enough ports on the wireless router, hence the switch. But, when I connect devices via the swtich (i.e. device -> switch -> router) then whilst they can access the internet, they become undiscoverable to wifi devices.

E.g. smart TV connected via LAN means I can't Chrome Cast to it (it's running Android), but if the TV is connected via wifi then I can connect it fine.

Also ... If I remove the switch from the connection route (i.e. device -> one of the 4 LAN ports on the router) then they become visible - this is the only way I can operate my SONOS & NAS from my iPhone.

I've checked the wireless router and it doesn't have 'wireless isolation' selected.

Why is this happening? How can I connect my devices via the additional network switch and them still be visible over the wifi?

Seperatly, my wifi performance is sluggish so I'm thinking of putting in place something like TP-Link Deco M5 Mesh Network, but I'm worried that since it doesn't have ethernet ports then I will no longer be able to 'see' my SONOS, NAS, etc on my iphone,

Thanks in advance! :)

A lot of applications work at the "IP" level and don't really care about (or have any knowledge of) the underlying transport protocol (ethernet/Wi-Fi/Powerline/whatever.) For example if I'm using say a smartphone to do something or other, the phone app probably will have no knowledge of how anything beyond itself is physically connected, as far as it's concerned it's all accessed "Wi-Fi" and for an application that runs over IP, it won't even have any knowledge of it own physical connection, such an application will just "hand off" to the IP software an leave that software to sort out how it gets the IP datagram towards the target.

By design, the networking paradigm is structured in a "layered" architecture so that software running at "higher" layers in (what's called) the protocol stack don't need to have any knowledge of what lies beneath. Just as I don't need to have any knowlege of the intricacies of a deisel versus petrol engined car - I (as a driver) have a common interface (right pedal makes it go, left pedal makes it stop) and can leave the details to the engine designer to worry about. Similar idea in the networking architecture.

It might be worth checking that you have no IP address conflicts in your various connection scenarios, then try pinging everything to test whether they are accessible. Though increasingly some devices don't answer ping.

I doubt your switch is culpable, but if you cite the exact model number we can check.

Which Deco system are you contemplating - I thought at least some of them did have ethenet backhaul.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom