Deutschland 83 / 86 (Channel 4)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Better than i expected, but highly unoriginal and stuff we've seen before, but i'll be watching the next episode :D

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Off to a promising start. Unsure about the penultimate scene but on the whole it was interesting.

I want to know more about the
aunt and hope she doesn't serve simply to further the protagonist's story. Why is her patriotism so fervent? Is it born out of fear or is there more to it than that? A lover captured by the West, perhaps?

I like how they mirrored the barbecue scenes and some of the characters from the East, i.e. the General's daughter reminding him of his own GF back in East Germany.

I reckon he'll grow sympathetic to the people in the West, come to realise that his aunt's patriotism is dangerous, perhaps grow accustomed to life in the West and then attempt to smuggle his mum and possibly his GF across the Berlin Wall or its border equivalent.

mike7

Distinguished Member
A promising start. The Cold War period is usually shown from the British/American perspective in spy dramas. This first episode showed a lot of promise. Great performances throughout. I will certainly be watching next week.

kingcobbler

Not watched it yet, does it spin along with the same pace / soundtrack as the trailers or does the trailer put a lot of gloss on it?

mike7

Distinguished Member
Not watched it yet, does it spin along with the same pace / soundtrack as the trailers or does the trailer put a lot of gloss on it?
Anyone who was around in the 80s will recognise a lot of the music used in the soundtrack.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Thought it was great, has a high production value look to it, great acting and very good soundtrack.

mike7

Distinguished Member
Episode Two was even better than the first. This is going to be a habit on Sunday nights. I loved the bit about the East German hero not recognising what a floppy disk was when he was expecting to find a find a paper file.

Last edited:

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Sunday night habit for me as well, thoroughly enjoyable. Bit tongue in cheek and chaotic but a nice reminder of the way we were.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Enjoying this and the other "Walter Presents" stuff like "Spin"
More4 and Sky Atlantic are my favourite channels at the moment.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Starting to get a bit more violent now. Still unmissable.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I just love the main theme, 4,3,2,1

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Just in case you hadn't searched for it, it's by Peter Schilling - 'Major Tom'
I liked it so much I went and bought it from iTunes :blush:
Cheers, just purchased, such a catchy chorus !

bishbashboshdj

There's been some very good german shows I've watched over the last few years, and this is one of them.

I'd also recommend Generation War if there's anyone who's not seen it (unser mutter, unser vetter). Its 3 x 2 hour shows (from memory).

meltonboy

Watched the first 4 over the weekend and really enjoying it. It's an interesting period of history. It's not too heavy / serious as a drama. Great story so far, decent acting and stylish, plus the top soundtrack.

I really like the fact that the central character isn't a particularly good spy. The opposite of Jason Bourne type chap.

It brought back memories of the cold war from a UK perspective. It doesn't get talked about much these days, but i think it's a big thing for a 40-something compared with a 20-something who didn't live through it.

MB

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
This is a fantastic show. Thread should be about 8 pages long! Really impressive screenwriting and direction in D83. Like you said @meltonboy it's refreshing to see a protagonist who doesn't have special abilities or masters some difficult task in the blink of an eye.

mike7

Distinguished Member
This series did very well in the USA and was the most successful show not in the English/American language. Thank goodness they didn't dub it as they did with Das Boot.

scatterbug

Is this 7 or 8 episodes long? The Sky planner was contradicting itself.

mike7

Distinguished Member
According to the Walter website it is 7 episodes long which I feel is totally wrong. 'Bold Guard' seems to be missing. But, according to Wikipedia it is 8 episodes as shown in the USA, and presumably, in Germany. Very strange.

Deutschland 83

A follow-up series Deutschland 86 is on the cards.

Last edited:

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Well this Sunday's final episode is an extended one so they might have merged.

mike7

Distinguished Member
Well this Sunday's final episode is an extended one so they might have merged.
It appears that this episode fills a 90 minute slot, including ad breaks, so something approaching 30 minutes might have been cut. Perhaps someone with access to the downloaded full version from the USA might tell us what we are missing. I'm hoping the Channel Four box set download will return to the original 8 episodes.

Apparently this show has become the highest watched sub titled show on UK tv.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution