• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Detached Garage Conversion - Insurance and security

Rocketrazor

Hi all,

During the past 6 months it's occurred to me that I desire my own dedicated home cinema more than I thought. I've been thinking about converting my single detached garage into said desired dedicated home cinema room. One thought that has crossed my mind is security and insurance. How do people with a dedicated home cinema building secure it? Multipoint locking door, alarm etc and what about insurance? My home insurance I think covers £3000 for outbuildings. Do you have a separate policy for it or speak to the insurers and get the cover upped? How much did this impact your yearly premium?

Thanks in advance

Rocket

ufo550

Distinguished Member
I can't see it being an issue? If your garage is in a normal sized garden, I can't see you would be required to take exceptional alterations for security, more than you would for the garage itself. I think my policy asks for specific items over something like £3000.

Guess the only way to know for sure is speak to your insurance company.

Harkon321

I can't see it being an issue? If your garage is in a normal sized garden, I can't see you would be required to take exceptional alterations for security, more than you would for the garage itself. I think my policy asks for specific items over something like £3000.

Guess the only way to know for sure is speak to your insurance company.

Wouldn't it count as a change of use though and no longer count as a garage?

Rocketrazor

i think most insurers say out buildings, but if I've got £5-10k of kit in it £3000 wouldn't cover it. I could phone the insurer but I'd probably have to wait for ages to get through to someone . I was just seeing if anyone who has one already had any advice as I thought of it today

Harkon321

@mb3195 might be able to help.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Insurance is tricky, make sure you have a decent alarm system. I’ve got two separate systems (1 silent with security guard and 1 audible) on mine plus a security door within a porch area, so it’s secure as can be but insurance wouldn’t be interested with the amount of ££££ I have in mine.

Rocketrazor

Insurance is tricky, make sure you have a decent alarm system. I’ve got two separate systems (1 silent with security guard and 1 audible) on mine plus a security door within a porch area, so it’s secure as can be but insurance wouldn’t be interested with the amount of ££££ I have in mine.
Funnily enough I have your thread saved and had a look today. Saw your pir sensor, door sensors and security door. Defo getting a lot of helpful ideas from your build thread. Is it a separate system to the house or you just added them to the home system, they look like yale?

I also saw your kit list, wouldn't even like to think how much that all cost!

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Funnily enough I have your thread saved and had a look today. Saw your pir sensor, door sensors and security door. Defo getting a lot of helpful ideas from your build thread. Is it a separate system to the house or you just added them to the home system, they look like yale?

I also saw your kit list, wouldn't even like to think how much that all cost!

One is linked to my main house, the other is a separate one (Yale).

My kit list isn’t cheap.....I did tally it up a few weeks ago 😳

If you ever have any questions or want a demo, let me know 👍🏻

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom