Destiny 2 Beta Thoughts

Crashed a few times on my Warlock on the first mission bit of a pita. Like the load out weapons with the Warlock more than the huntard

Crashed twice when going to inspect a weapon

No crashes here, am loving it so far. All the small improvements add up to make it feel fresher than it did before.

It's a shame the beta is so limited compared to the original, but at least we won't fee as if we've played too much!!

If you start the strike and head off to the right through the battle, you can explore Nessus a bit. Didn't find anything but it feels pretty cool exploring.

I also like both the new Crucible modes, and I'm not normally a fan. It seems a little less crazy (getting shot in the back) and a bit more tactical, Countdown especially.

Roll on the full game and we'll get Destiny nights going again :)

Yeah apart from taking a couple of attempts to get in it was fine for me too.

Ran the story, strike and one game of PvP on the Hunter and Warlock, like the exotic hand cannon you picked up with the Hunter and the weps in general but does seem to be lacking compared to the Warlock for abilities. Will do the same with a Titan to check that out tomorrow.

Impressed with what I've seen so far and roll on September [emoji4][emoji106]

The ability recharge rates don't quite seem balanced, my Titan grenade takes ages to load but I can seemingly drop the barricade very regularly!

Stuff like that I expect the full game will address with balancing, or the equipment will boost it etc

Playing right now on a pro. Doesn't seem pro-enhanced. No HDR. As said above, more evolution than revolution (not a bad thing) does anyone know if this is gonna be pro enhanced??

I thought it was supposed to be 4K on a Pro. Not sure if that applies to the beta or retail game though.

Says 2160p so yeah 4K but no HDR which I'm disappointed about

I really like the changes. As said above, evolution not revolution. Lighting in particular looks very crisp.

It's a bit like a shiny new skin on an old game - which is no bad thing.

I'm also quite pleased this time around that the beta is so limited. It's enough for me to know I like the gameplay (although I still need to spend some time getting used to the new weapons system and set ups), but won't spoil the full game.

BUT. My worst fears about Crucible are confirmed so far.

4v4 doesn't work for me at all. Didn't think it would. Now I know it doesn't. I've actually done pretty well against some fairly solid opposition - I just don't like it. The fun and the chaos has gone. It's far too focused and intense. It plays more like a ranked game mode in other games: winning is everything.

I'm not sure I like the new heavy weapon system, either (even though I've benefited a few times).

Also, the cooldowns seem changed. Hardly anyone gets a super now which was a great leveller and a way to contribute even if you were having a bad game.

They've fundamentally changed how the crucible operates. I'm sure it's intentional, but it's not for me.

I much prefer the Crucible in its new form. I hate being killed by super after super. Melee is far less powerful as are grenades which is another bonus. Much more emphasis on gun on gun action.
Pity that the beta is very short. We could do with a patrol area to give it a bit of longevity.

Just had a few hours on it. If you liked the first one I'm sure you'll like this. I got bored of first one quite quickly, and there's not much here to tell me this will be much different but then the beta is v short

I like what I've seen so far and have had few issues running on the pro. As others have said, content is limited which IMO is a good thing. The first beta had too much content and I swear I completed the first ten missions enough times to do them blindfolded.

Roll on September!!

Weird how some people are having issues with the pro as I had zero issues it ran flawlessly.
I use the pro, no issues with Destiny but often cuts out (black screen and no audio) though this is on any game, not just Destiny.

The titan load out exotic chain gun is pretty fun

The warlock exotic submachine gun is good too if you can get 'arc conductor' to kick in on it. It pretty much just constantly keeps firing without having to reload. Managed to get it to work on the boss in the strike.

Did you get drops from the strike. I got kicked as they dropped

Ignore that I did get them

They need to change the hunter 'circle, circle' ability. Dodge is useless. It should be invisibility or smoke grenade invisibility for other players. Seen the warlock 'heal rift' and Titan wall in the strike and all I could do was a forward roll. Brilliant :thumbsdow

Agreed, it's useless

I might even get 30 minutes to try this later...if I'm lucky!

Not feeling the love for that beta, I mean demo.

More I played it, the less I like it. PvP is boring (which is all that's left of the beta after the start mission and strike).

All the elements that made it uniquely Destiny seem to be gone. There's not enough differentiation between weapons, limited options for loadouts, and all the melees, grenades, and supers are gone from PvP for the most part. It just feels very pedestrian. Not awful. But pedestrian.

The slow recharge rates have a negative effect on PvE, too (though I'm sure they're deliberately slow to change how PvP works, more than anything).

There seems less customisation both on guns (perk trees aren't as expansive) and on subclasses, which also feel less interesting (it seems like a backwards step to me to clump skill trees into inseparable forks and limit options).

I've almost no doubt I'll still get it and it sure looks shiny, but I think it's quite telling I don't actually want to go back to the beta much.

2160p on Pro but Checkerboard - well in part it seems. According to this, it can hit native 4k in parts but also scales on the horizontal from 3072 all the way up to 3840 (full 4k). Resolution alone is not quite the be all and end all though...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom