Destacker

Bicks

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently moved into a flat which had already had a sky dish and a destacker attached. Once I moved in I got sky installed and everything worked fine for the first month or so before the reception started to dip in and out before all together failing. I phoned sky who sent out an engineer who said that these were no longer used and that I should really install a new cable from the dish to the receiver. He did however, after fiddling about manage to get it up and going again.

Another 2 months or so the same thing started to happen again with the reception dipping in and out. This time I phoned a local satellite installation firm out to install a new cable. The local company said that it was impossible to replace the cabling without ripping open the walls (The flat had been done up over the last few years so assume they did this then) which I didn;t really want to do. Instead the guys fiddled around with the destacker and hey presto it started to work again. Recently though the reception has yet again started to drop.

I was just wondering what other people's experiences with these are? Should I look at getting it replaced or will I run into the same issues again? I've had a look around the net and the cheapest I can find them is £80 before any installation costs.

I appreciate any advice people can give me.

Sky did not send out an engineer, they don't use engineers for this. He/she was an installer.

The stacker system virtually doubles the frequency on the cable so very good quality cable is required so I doubt if replacing the stacker would help.

What is a destacker?

So it's just to get two signals on one cable?
Simple answer - get rid of both and use Sky machine in single cable mode.

I don't - I've always had one cable and don't miss anything.
I never feel the need to record two programmes at the same time.

He did however, after fiddling about manage to get it up and going again.
Maybe you should determine what the "fiddling about" involved?
It sounds like a simple bad connection to me.

We used to sell these but we had to make so many refunds, because customers used the wrong cable or tried to use wall plates, that we stopped supplying them. Some people simply ignore instructions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom