Despicable Me 2 - 3D Cinema Review

Tech News

Reaction score
<p> Wow it&#39;s nice to see a movie do precisely what you expect from it. Disappointed with the slew of tentpole features and blockbuster sequels that have dominated the multiplexes recently? Despicable Me 2 hits home with a superb follow-up to the hilarious original film, rollicking along at a breakneck pace, packing in the adult references amidst the child-friendly humour, and further cementing the seemingly unstoppable popularity of those lovable Minions; paving the way for 2014&#39;s spin-off film dedicated to their origins.</p> <p> Do you know the best thing about Brad Pitt&#39;s World War Z? The fact that it took so long to finally hit our screens that the writers of Despicable Me 2 had enough time to incorporate several hilarious direct references to the best bits. Why watch a bloodless zombie horror with no bite when you can instead watch hundreds of Minions flood the screen like an unstoppable plague? Oh yeah, that reminds me - the trailer to Despicable Me 2 - hats off to...</p>
Read the full review...

excellent review

went last saturday to a preview with my 9 year old and her friends for her birthday. i don't know who laughed most, the kids or the adults. really glad we saw it 3D

really good fun - and as usual worth staying for the credits

oh .... and the boy band bit and the village people homage was brilliantly done

excellent review

went last saturday to a preview with my 9 year old and her friends for her birthday. i don't know who laughed most, the kids or the adults. really glad we saw it 3D

really good fun - and as usual worth staying for the credits

oh .... and the boy band bit and the village people homage was brilliantly done

Saw it this morning in 3d very funny for kids and adults well worth a viewing

I'm off in the morning with kids, 2D though as I've a 2 year old

Just got back, great sequel, both the kids and the adults loved this movie. For me Gru is the star of the show, great character, as for the minions, many, many laugh moments. Can't wait for 3

The Pointless Sequel award goes to...

I really enjoyed the first Despicable Me. The inherent problem with a sequel, is that the main character, Gru, isn't really despicable anymore. He's been neutered into a full time father and failed businessman, attempting to create his own range of jams and jellies, (seriously). Even his mad scientist, Dr. Nefario is hacked off being good and saunters off to a new employer.

This then brings out the tiresome plot device of the ex-villain being hired by a government agency, to catch the real baddie, who has pinched a formula that makes whatever's injected with it, turn purple and go ape-****. They trace it to a mall, (seriously), so Gru must go undercover as a cake shop proprietor and weed out which shop owner, is actually the baddie. The problem of coarse, is that Gru knows immediately who the villain is and despite some attempts to make it look like he might be wrong, he does know and that effed me off. It pretty much sidelines the entire spy angle, which although tiresome, is only less tiresome that the shambles of 'let's get Gru a woman', that ensued.

Let me rewind. He's given this partner by the agency, Lucy, voiced by Kristen Wiig. She's one of those cliched live-wires, who already admires Gru and can you see where it's going?

Painful. Absolutely painful.

Having said all that, it looked gorgeous. My word, these CGI animated features have a long way. If you are badgered by a child to go and see this crap, check out the clothing, particularly Gru's scarf, etc. It looks freakishly real. Oh and there's a trailer for something called Turbo. You've been warned.

2 Minions out of 5

Last edited:
The Pointless Sequel award goes to...

I really enjoyed the first Despicable Me. The inherent problem with a sequel, is that the main character, Gru, isn't really despicable anymore. He's been neutered into a full time father and failed businessman, attempting to create his own range of jams and jellies, (seriously). Even his mad scientist, Dr. Nefario is hacked off being good and saunters off to a new employer.

This then brings out the tiresome plot device of the ex-villain being hired by a government agency, to catch the real baddie, who has pinched a formula that makes whatever's injected with it, turn purple and go ape-****. They trace it to a mall, (seriously), so Gru must go undercover as a cake shop proprietor and weed out which shop owner, is actually the baddie. The problem of coarse, is that Gru knows immediately who the villain is and despite some attempts to make it look like he might be wrong, he does know and that effed me off. It pretty much sidelines the entire spy angle, which although tiresome, is only less tiresome that the shambles of 'let's get Gru a woman', that ensued.

Let me rewind. He's given this partner by the agency, Lucy, voiced by Kristen Wiig. She's one of those cliched live-wires, who already admires Gru and can you see where it's going?

Painful. Absolutely painful.

Having said all that, it looked gorgeous. My word, these CGI animated features have a long way. If you are badgered by a child to go and see this crap, check out the clothing, particularly Gru's scarf, etc. It looks freakishly real. Oh and there's a trailer for something called Turbo. You've been warned.

2 Minions out of 5

Please, we are talking a child's film! Ignore this is a great movie

Please, we are talking a child's film! Ignore this is a great movie

It's a fantastic movie even if you don't have kids. Went to see it with the missus yesterday, and loved every minute of it. Some people, like the guy who slagged it off, just take things way too seriously. It may not have the same impact as the first movie did, but that's the case with pretty much all sequels or prequels. The minions were never going to be as funny this time around, but they're still brilliant fun. DM2 is still very funny, and still has loveable characters. So what's not to love?

Great story and no joke too cheap!
Even better than the first one. :thumbsup:

Some people, like the guy who slagged it off, just take things way too seriously.
I have a name and my favorite film is Highlander, so too seriously? :laugh:

Pull the other one. ;)

I just refuse to accept the tired old argument of 'it's a kids film', to excuse lazy writing and soap opera plotting. The first movie was a wonderfully written 'kids film', full of wit and great dialogue. I can list quite a few recent 'kids films', that did similar, but did not reach the same heights as Despicable Me.

I'm sorry if that offends Fathers for Justice, but do me a favour...

Last edited:
I have a name and my favorite film is Highlander, so too seriously? :laugh:

Pull the other one. ;)

I just refuse to accept the tired old argument of 'it's a kids film', to excuse lazy writing and soap opera plotting. The first movie was a wonderfully written 'kids film', full of wit and great dialogue. I can list quite a few recent 'kids films', that did similar, but did not reach the same heights as Despicable Me.

I'm sorry if that offends Fathers for Justice, but do me a favour...

Yeah yeah, whatever. You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't recognise any of the negative points you listed as being valid. And you seem to be part of a very small minority of people who dislike the movie.

At least I gave a reason for my opinion, not used some tired old argument to defend it. For the record, the kids I saw it with, loved it. Did I enjoy the fact that they enjoyed it? Of coarse. Does that make it a good film?

Hell,no.

Peace.

At least I gave a reason for my opinion, not used some tired old argument to defend it. For the record, the kids I saw it with, loved it. Did I enjoy the fact that they enjoyed it? Of coarse. Does that make it a good film?

Hell,no.

Peace.

I never once said anything about it being a 'Kids Movie' as a way to defend it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom