1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperately Seeking Help - Very Newbie

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sgrech, Nov 24, 2003.

1. sgrech

sgrech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I recently purchased a Panasonic DVD S75EBS player. I now want to add a 5.1 surround sound speaker system.

I thought I would just be able to buy a speaker package, plug it in and there hey presto. Is it that simple though?

I have doing some research (reading forums) and everybody keeps talking about amplifiers. Do I need one of these? Is there anything else that I need to consider?

Also I have one slight problem with my Pana S75. I don't seem to be able to control the volume level. If I turn down the volume on TV remote it doesn't make any difference and even the mute button appears disabled.

As per the instruction manual I connected the Audio Out and Video Out on the DVD player to the Audio In and Video In on the TV. The sound is very good considering my set-up I just can't control the volume level, unless I remove the above mentioned cables.
    Upon doing this I once more have control of the volume, but the sound produced is poor in comparison. The DVD is also connected to the TV via a SCART.

Any help for this very confused person would be gratefully appreciated. I am sorry if these are very basic questions.

Simon:confused:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You seem to have connected the DVD player to the TV twice, once with the phono sockets and again with the scart socket.

Don't bother with the auxilliary cables and just use the scart making sure that it is in a scart socket on the TV that will accept an RGB signal. The sound quality should be exactly the same.

The sound output by the DVD player is at a very low level so if you want surround sound you will need to buy an amplifier as well as a set of speakers and connect the DVD player to that.

3. sgrech

sgrech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian J for your reply.

Would it be ok to buy a set of surround sound speakers which incorporate an amp? I have seen some around but not very many.

I have connected the dvd to the tv via the scart alone. I still think it sounds better using the the auxilliary cables!?

Simon

4. sgrech

sgrech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....also when you purchase a complete home cinema surround sound system, there is no seperate amp included. I assume it is integrated into the dvd player or subwoofer, is that correct??

Simon

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That shouldn't be the case unless the scart socket or cable is faulty or of poor design.

There are a variety of ways of extracting surround sound ranging from an "All in One" system like a Sony DAV that combines DVD player and amp together, to others that combine the amp into the subwoofer which are available with or without included DVD players

6. sgrech

sgrech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Ian for all your help, I think I am little less confused now!

Simon