Desperately Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by davidjamesmar, Mar 17, 2006.

1. davidjamesmar

davidjamesmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm new to projectors and home theatre in general but while in the UK last week I bought a Hitachi PJ-TX200 on the spur of the moment. Fantastic! I thought, not realising how complicated this home theatre business can be :suicide:

I think I need some impartial advice on one or two things. Firstly, the basement room I will be using this in is a strange shape. The floor plan is like four 3m cubed boxes in the shape of a T, with the middle box being open at the back, this section opens into the rest of the house which creates alot of echo around the place (all floors are laminate). The ceilings on the left and right of the back row of three are 4m and the middle two are 3m. I am thinking of curtaining off the outer boxes (4m ceilings) and the open section at the back, along with putting a carpet on the floor, will this be enough to deaden the sound? There is no furniture in the room but lots of hard walls and floors.

If curtained off the viewing room will end up being L6m x W3m x H3m, so what power will the amp/receiver need? I am thinking of the Denon AVR-1906 but am a little concerned that this will not be enough. I am on a budget but having bought the projector I don't want to end up with a great picture but rubbish sound.

Finally, and please excuse my obvious stupidity here, do I need an amp and/or a receiver?

Oh, speakers, yes ..... I will need speakers. Big? Small? 5.1? 7.1?

….. and cables, I have an HDMI cable but what about DVD / AMP-Receiver / Speakers?

aaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!! Please help.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More audio than video so moving to the speakers forum.

:smoke: