Desperately need some help to wall-mount a plasma on a hollow wall!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by bym007, Jun 13, 2009.

1. bym007

bym007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi,

This is my first DIY job of wall mounting a plasma, so please bear with my novice questions.

The panel in question is a Pioneer 5090, the mount is an MForm's (this one) and the wall is a hollow one as mentioned earlier.

Now being a novice, I have tried bringing a variety of screws from B&Q but nothing seemed to have stay in the wall securely for the plasma to be mounted safely.

I took Graham's advice and went out to Screwfix to get these screws today, and asked the store manager for advice, and after listening about my wall condition, he refused to recommend the spring toggle.

He recommended me different bits and bobs. However I am totally confused right now. I am planning to visit my local B&Q tomorrow and get the bits and pieces to do the installation!

Could someone be kind enough to write me down (literally) a step-by-step guide to mounting my plasma on the wall, or may be point me in the right direction.....

Many thanks for your advice!

2. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    You need "Interset" fixings and the tool to open them to do this quickly , safely and with ease.

:thumbsup:

I use the M5x40 for single plasterboard walls, and the M5x65 for double plasterboard.

Plasterboard Fixings - Interset Cavity Fixings - Ace Fixings, Power Tools, Cordless, Drill, Bosch, Makita, Paslode, Milwaukee, UK - Products

The "tool" used to open them up. I cant find it but the same people sell it.

The TOGGLE fixings are not good because if you undo them the holding area falls off!!! into the wall. So not good.....The Interset hold onto the wall and you can remove the screw and replace time and time again.

Your bracket looks like 12 positions for fixins, that will be fine.

PLEASE NOTE : if you have friends/kids who want to swing on the plasma then it will end up on the floor............

The fixings above should be fine - YOU must be sure you are happy with the fixings, BUT more important YOU must be happy with YOUR own work.........

Where in London are you?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    what sort of hollow wall? Thsi is the critcal bit, I use a similar fixing to Mad Mr H Normally fischer version, but it needs to be the right one for the wall and the bracket needs to be right for the wall.

4. bym007

bym007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    In the end, I just took 4 long threaded screw rods (long enough to come out of the wall at other side) and bolts and washers to go on both sides. From there, it waas plain sailing (err... drilling). But the thing works and is really sturdy!