Desperately need helping connecting sub to amp to pc

1ncubu5

Standard Member
Not sure if this is the correct section, so mods please move if wrong...

Just now I have my AV amp connected to my pc soundcard via RAC-3.5mm cable, only boasting 2 main front speakers at the moment.

Fancied adding a sub to the mix, but cannot figure out how...

connections on sub are:

connections on amp are:

any help or advice would be much appreciated

just realised the pics are upside down and massive...can sort out if necessary :smashin:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Makes and model numbers would help. If it's an AV Receiver you have, basically you need an active (powered) subwoofer, which will connect from the AV Receiver's subwoofer pre-out to the Left input on the subwoofer.

1ncubu5

Standard Member
thanks for the reply, it's some old kit I've decided to recycle as a PC setup.

The AV amp is a Yamaha HTR-5540RDS and the sub is a JBL SUB138 according to the back...

davepuma

Distinguished Member
My answer above stands. The subwoofer pre-out connection is on the left hand side marked "output" according to the manual.

You need a subwoofer cable.

Last edited:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
On the amplifier - in the picture above - looking at it as is it presented now (i.e. upside down).

Start bottom right and look for a bright orange socket labelled CD2. Go left one and up one and look for a black socket labelled Sub Woofer.

On the sub woofer look for the yellow socket marked LFE.

Connect a single RCA phono - RCA phono cable between these. Does not have to be of any esoteric type, but if it's a long run you may find a "better" cable gives better results. Remember to "tell" the amplifier (in its setup) that you have a subwoofer. And then adjust levels to suit.

1ncubu5

Standard Member
thanks for the reply, turns out the way I'd tried connecting it up perviously was correct - I just needed to activate the LFE crossover settings in my soundcard properties!

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom