Desperately need help, have i damaged my speakers

The Genies are going to be much better than your all in one system. £280 seems reasonable so I would see no reason not to get them.

Psm1. I need some advice. I can get a set of alumnis but theyve been driven by a pioneer 2021. Which is 150wpc into 6omhs. Whats the chances of these speakers now being damaged?

They should be fine. An amp with more power than the speakers can handle is often better since there is less chance of the person running the amp hard to get higher volume and hence causing clipping which kills speakers much quicker than a little bit too much power. As long as the person has not abused the speakers (can be done with any amp no matter what the power) then they will be fine.

Well ive took the plunge. And bought 4 qa1010is second hand. A new 2000ci and a pair of 2010i. So i have a 7.0 just gota wait for the sub. Do u think these will be better than a set of alumnis. They all cost together £280. Did i make a good choice? Will the 1010i match the the 2010i tonally. I think the 1010is would be ok for rear duties right?

Last edited:
Right, when it comes to wiring everything up What should the lengths be? Does the centre need to be the same length as the front pair? What about the rears?

My 2010i arrived and they sound as good as my 10.2s easily! Just without the bass. Detail is loverly

Right, when it comes to wiring everything up What should the lengths be? Does the centre need to be the same length as the front pair? What about the rears?
Opinions differ here.
Some people will say that it's important to keep all cables the same length.
I disagree. I think that as long as your cable is thick enough (most important) and good enough (less important, but still important) then it doesn't matter if they don't match.

With thick (and therefore low impedance) cable, you won't notice any attenuation. And while individual electrons move relatively slowly along the cable, the signal actually travels at the speed of light (I think!) so you won't hear any timing differences either.

The one thing that opinion is fairly unanimous on... If you do have extra length on a cable run, DO NOT leave it neatly coiled.

Right im buying the rest of my speaker cable tomorrow and its between cambridge audio symphony 200 or qed 79. Its for the rears and the longest run will be 6metres and the speakers are some q acoustic 1010is which speaker cable will do the job better and which you buy

Both will be fine so just buy the one that is the cheapest.

Right. About the rear speakers heights. I have a metre either side of me and a metre behind. And wonder if ear level iss best if i have the space? Ive drawn a picture.
The kind of V shaped things are where id put the speakers. The one at the very back wud be placed alittle higher than the rest but wanted to keep the side surrounds ear level.? What do you think

ForumRunner_20120506_023042.png

The room is more like 4x3.5 but theres definitely a metre each side and behind. Drawn this on my samsung galaxy note. Whoop whoop :D

Last edited:
PSM1 said:
Both will be fine so just buy the one that is the cheapest.

Managed to get some qed 79 for 1.50 a.metre was 25p extra most other places. Thanks

Im in need of some sort of wire tacks to nail the cable the wall. Its needs to go against the skirting board and also against the wall without having a gap where the skirting board slopes and the wall beings. Heres a picture of what i mean.

ForumRunner_20120508_213941.png

And this is a picture of what i dont want. I want the cable as flush to the wall as possible so it blends better. Im painting the wire the same colour as the wall. And the speaker cable is 8mm x 4mm qed 79. Im finding it hard to find the right size cable clips for the job.

ForumRunner_20120508_214824.png

Last edited:
It might look better if you run some sticky-backed trunking up the wall? Otherwise find something double-sided and sticky to stick the cable in tight to the wall. I suspect that the plastic clips with a nail (I think that's what you're thinking of?) won't look very nice.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom