Desperately need help!! DV Editing nightmare

602sqn_Crater

Hello all,

I am pretty new to this DV editing malarky and a some urgent questions (i.e. I am meant to be editing my friend wedding video and am having REAL problems)

Machine spec: -

XP1600+ cpu
128mb Geforce 3 Ti200 gfx card
ABIT KA7A-133 motherboard
256DDR memory
60gig 7200rpm ATA100 HD
Audigy soundcard (fitted with firewire port)

Camcorder: -

Sony TRV30e

Software: -

MGI Videowave 5

My problems: -

1. I can capture from my camcorder to disk no problem. But when trying to write the edited footage (via Videowave 5) back to the camcorder I frequently get serious image corruption. Surely my HD is up to the job!

2. For some strange reason my edited footage is slightly "zoomed in" when I write to the camcorder (i.e. My titling, instead of being on the bottom of the screen, is slightly OFF the bottom). I am rendering the footage as DV-PAL, and even more strangely, if I copy it back off the camcorder onto the PC the frames and titles are fine again!

As I said, I am in the middle of editing my friends wedding video and cant save a sodding thing onto DV tape! They're due back from honeymoon this Wednesday. Please help!!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Crater

It looks like the HD cannot output to firewire fast enough. ( I am running XP and had a similar problem in 98SE when DMA was not enabled. It definately IS in XP and is a faster drive!)

I see occasional flashes of video and badly currupted sound then nothing! However, I did re-render the movie last night and mnaged to transfer if OK, but there are 2 or 3 annoying glitches (slight sound/video stutters) still present. Any ideas?

You've mentioned the usual one (DMA). I am not familiar with XP. Are you sure you don't have any 'stay resident' programs loaded or running in the background? This is probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs as you are probably more aware of this than me.

The reason the titles are off the screen when your footage is put back on the camcorder is due to that part of the picture being outside the main viewable area when shown via a TV - this is called overscan.

Editing packages like premiere have a "video safe" border around the screen so you know where to put titles so they'll definitely appear. If MGI hasn't got this, don't put the titles within about 10% of the screen edges. To test you could create a screen of titles under each other, and see which one is in the right place.

If the package can write back to the camera at all and with your spec, it doesn't sound like a disc speed problem. The best thing's to try are a) find a disk speed check program (via google e.t.c.) to make sure your disk can cope with 5Mb/s needed for transfer b) defrag the disc before output, c) shutdown all unnecessary background apps.

It could also be the Video app itself - check their website for updates :)

Thanks for the info. . .

I will try 'em all out and let you know how I do!

Oh, and I looked at premiere and it scared the hell outa me LOL. Maybe once I get used to the DV stuff I will try again

Thanks agains people, much appreciated!

The fact that you have managed to output some video back to tape points to something running in the background interupting the disc transfer.

Close all the backgroung applications (except the system ones) and also try changing the processing priority for VideoWave. These can all be done within XP.

Sounds very interesting!

How exactly do I do that? Had a brief look, but I am not sure exactly where this would be done!

Cheers,

Crater

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom