1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

desperate

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by mulder, Sep 24, 2003.

1. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I cannot seem to improve my captured home video footage from sony trv19 to pinnacle studio software on my pc. The quality from camcorder to tv is excellent but once I download to PC via firewie it goes downhill (ghosting,blurriness). i am getting really desperate as I don't know what else to do whether it's worth me forking out for new software as mine is not a full version as it came with my firewire card or buy a new firewire card. Can anyone give me any clues?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Are these problems only seen when watching on a PC monitor?
    Have you copied the footage back to tape/VCD/DVD etc and then played back on a TV?
    A PC monitor will always give a lower quality picture as it is just not designed for true colour/full motion pictures. This can be made worse by an older/lower spec graphics card that just can't keep up with the requested refresh rate etc.
    Do you have a TV output on your PC? If so try connecting the TV up and see what the footage loos like.

Mark.

3. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    markE19 the captured video on my PC doesn't look to bad compared to when I convert to vcd where it looks very blurry with lots of ghosting.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    So its after encoding for VCD that the quality is lost, not during the capture.
    What programmes are you useing to create the VCD files? Do a search on the internet for TMPGEnc. This is a good encoder that should give good results.

Mark.

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  6. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    markE19
    I have used TMPGEnc alongside nero and my pinnacle studio software but the quality was worse probably because i'm not sure how to set it up. I have noticed that the captured images from camcorder once played back in pinnacle studio's edit menu don't look that great and once encoded and burnt to cd look even worse. Do you think my firewire card or cable might be the problem as my footage played through tv straight from camcorder looks excellent.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I think it very unlikely that you have a problem with the firewire card or cable.
    Firewire is a digital transfer medium, therefore quality is unlikely to be effected over the short distance of the cable, or by a cheaply made card. If you were getting constant dropouts and picture/sound freezing then it is possibly a hardware problem.
    More likely is badly set up software. TMPGEnc has loads of different possible settings, as does most capture/editing software. Do a search on here for many threads on setting up TMPGEnc etc.

Mark.