1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperate help needed

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by inzaman, Oct 26, 2004.

1. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I have a hcpc with a 120gb sata hard drive which i was using as a movie juke box. I have connected an icy box (which has a 200gb ide hard drive in it) via sata, i.e to the second sata (you can do that with the icy box) on the mobo.

Xp recognised it and came up with the raid window which i selected the one to give me maximum disk space (jbob or something it was called). This showed about 300 odd gb of space, fine. I then rebooted and the boot menu came up with a fault on the raid and showed some options which i selected continue to reboot but it wouldnt, it now just comes up with insert system disk, which i havent got. The bios though recognises the sata disks and serial numbers but i just cannot boot.
    Have i lost my data and therefore have to reinstall the os or can i rescue the situation.

2. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Do you have "raid" on you're mobo? If so it seems that the machine assumed when you added the second drive that you wanted to create a raid array and if this is what happened then the chances are you will have to reinstall by either using the new raid set up or removing the new drive, reinstalling and ensure you don't create the array when adding the new drive. The easiest way to do this would be to bisable the raid in bios if youre not using it.
    The only thing which makes me think twice about this advice is that you should have been showed 240GB space. As the raid would only use the same amount on both drives and not 300Gb as you mention.

Mike

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mike: that's not the case (your expecting to see 240Gb) :) Inzaman chose a JBOD array which uses all space on all partitions included in the array, all it does is make 1 big disk out of all the various parts, which can be and usually are of different sizes, if they were all the same size one would use RAID 0 for increased performance .. you're right in what you say for RAID 0/1/5 arrays.

Inzaman: from what you describe I think that the JBOD array was done in software, your description seems to me to indicate you added a second SATA disk and did nothing else in the BIOS. IOW, as far as the BIOS is concerned they are two separate, unrealted disks.

If this is the case then XP did some magic with the allocation tables to effectively 'join' the two disks together, what that magic would be I don't really know, I use JBOD myself but never bothered discovering how it works.

The fact the BIOS now isn't seeing a bootable hard disk is a puzzle, my only guess is that XP converted them from 'basic' to 'dynamic' disks, I think it has to do that with any sort of RAID. My system has just that but perhaps crucially I didn't include the boot partition in the array.

In your position, where I take it you don't have a backup for the files .. you really should you know .. then I think I'd try to lay my hands on an IDE disk, disconnect the SATAs and install Windows on the IDE. Then re-connect the SATAs and hope XP recognises and uses them.

Right now I think it's probably a good bet the files are still okay but getting access to them is the tricky bit.

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Thanks guys

Kragorn i did what you suggested last night then plugged the SATA back in and windows kept saying i needed to reboot which i did but the bios then kept asking for a system disk. When i removed the SATA disk it would boot okay from the IDE disk but then windows wouldnt recognise the SATA disc etc.

I do have the original discs for everything that is on the 120gig SATA hard drive (as i am in the process of creating a movie juke box, or trying to) so will not lose anything, it is just a pain redoing all the settings etc.

I did think that if i plugged the icy box into the second SATA then it would be like plugging it into the USB i.e additional large storage, except with the additional speed i really didnt expect all of this raid thingy.

How do i then have SATA channel 0 as the system disc and SATA channel 1 as a hot disk so i can swap according to data etc, or is it just easier to use the USB on the icy box, which kind of defeats the object of me getting the one with the SATA connection, thanks again guys.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm struggling to offer useful suggestions as I have no experience of what you're trying to do .. I use JBOD but on non-system disks. I can't think of any reason why Windows isn't recognising the SATA disk when you boot from the IDE .. again, I use SATAs but configured in the BIOS as 'stand ins' for the IDE channels, rather than having them configured as 'naked' SATAs. You said originally it did, now you're saying it doesn't any more.

I'm rather confused at this point.

6. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You could check the boot order in bios. If you have it set to sata first then ide this might answer why you can't boot with the sata connected if that drive has a corrupt boot sector.
    If this works you could then try reconnecting the sata and resetting bios defaults, then rebuild the array on boot up.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Thanks for your help, i have tried everything to no avail so will just reinstall xp and try all again. I do have all of the original discs etc that i installed so will not lose any information.
    I really just dont understand why that raid came up. All i want to do is connect the icy box to sata cannel 1, use this as the secondary drive for data only, all programs and os would then be installed on channel 0. I could then hot swap when i want, but this looks to be harder than i thought, there is always usb 2 i suppose.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm sure you don't have to use RAID even if you use the SATA interface .. though I don't know the Icy Box beyond seeing it in catalogues.

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I think i know where it all went wrong or were i went wrong, when i initially built the pc (it was my first build) i just loaded everything on all of the driver cds i had to ensure i didnt miss anything, and not knowing any better.

This resulted in me loading the SATA raid drivers from the mobo cd, hence the reason for raid appearing even though i didint want that. I have now reloaded XP and the mobo drivers excluding the raid driver and can now connect my icy box via SATA channel 1 with no raid option appearing :clap: .

If i then go into disc managment i can create this as a partition and it then appears under the my computer menu. I am going to buy another ide drive for the icy box, before i load more data on it, to see what effect a hot swap will have, i.e whether windows recognises the partition label from the hd serial no. etc.

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's the problem with PCs these days .. so many options, so little time to figure out what they mean. :D

Glad to hear you've at least got your system back and hopefully under YOUR control rather than ITS'. :)

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    Some onboard motherboards can switch been standard controllers and RAID controllers for the SATA controllers. Usually a jumper on the motherboard or option in the BIOS.

12. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Thats to true, i know they come with readme files etc but i would have been there ages reading these and then probably installed anyway. At least i have learnt so will know for future reference.

I do hope that i am in control of the damn thing now, having lost the past few nights to it, infact i dont want to see it for a week or so :D

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DVD players have a lot to commend them. :laugh: