Desperate for Xonar help....Sorry!

BenTheBookie

Established Member
Reaction score
Got my new Xonar yesterday and I am being plagued with problems...hoping someone can help before I throw it and my whole HTPC and amp out of the window!!

I managed to get True-HD and Dolby DTS-HD ONCE (D'Oh) but was having significant refresh related problems, so have reformatted..

Due to being a wazzock and leaving my Vista 32-bit disc in a PC returned to the shop (suprise suprise its gone!) I am now using 64-bit, not sure if this makes a difference or not.....

Anyway, I now can't get any sort of HD sound formats out, even though I (think!) I have done all the same things as before, although I am now using TMT3, as TMT2 wont work with 64-bit.

I can get DD, even DTS, but nothing more.

I'm also still having the refresh rate issue, which only rears its ugly head when using the passthrough on the HDAV, through my Onkyo 606, does anyone have a similar setup working?

I'm sorry to be a pain and keep asking questions..it seems as though when u get one thing working perfectly after months (mediaportal) something else comes along to try you!

Ok update...

After a number of hours playing, I have sound on everything EXCEPT blurays now....

I have TMT3 set to HDMI Passthough, but get no sound at all....info panel says TrueHD...but nothing from the speakers.....

Anyone got any ideas?

***!!!!

Just sat down to watch a 720p video...and it's tearing!

ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Last edited:
What graphics card are you using?

TMT2 works fine on my 64bit machine so would be interested where the information that it doesn't work come from.

Thanks Sdu,

I read it doesn't work on another thread on the asus support forums, but after you have said that, I'll give it a go!!

My GPU is the onboard Nvidia 9400 on my mobo (Gigabyte Ga-E7AUM-DS2H)

Get TMT from the Asus website and use that as its speacially designed for the HDAV1.3 cards.

It will work with the HDMI setting and 64bit vista. :)

I have TMT3 set to HDMI Passthough, but get no sound at all....info panel says TrueHD...but nothing from the speakers.....
I am assuming this is a retail version of TMT3? The demo version will not do Dolby output.
This could be a DRM issue and if you are not getting the whole PAP thing setup properly you will not get HD audio bitstreamed. I am assuming your amp is HDMI 1.3 capable and will decode HD bitstreams?

Just sat down to watch a 720p video...and it's tearing!
There is some discussion about this on the Arcsoft forums. It looks like the EVR renderer is broken in TMT3 and many have recommended replacing the renderer with the one from TMT2 (you can download the Asus version)

Thanks guys...will give these suggestions a try,

It is the full retail platinum version of TMT3, and I have to say I'm going to be quite annoyed if I need to switch back to TMT2...hate wasting cash!

My Amp is the Onkyo 606 -- it better do the HD audio properly!! :)

Thanks guys...will give these suggestions a try,

It is the full retail platinum version of TMT3, and I have to say I'm going to be quite annoyed if I need to switch back to TMT2...hate wasting cash!

My Amp is the Onkyo 606 -- it better do the HD audio properly!! :)

The Asus version works better than TMT3. I nearly upgraded to TMT3 when I owned the HDAV but it wasnt needed in the end. The Asus version is tailor made for your card. :)

Strange update --

Reverted back to TMT2 including running CCLeaner after uninstalling TMT3 to get rid of all registry bits etc.

1 good thing -- tearing gone away! YAY!

2 bad thing -- still no sound from TMT2.. I dont get an option in the Audio for HDMI-Passthrough....just HDMI

Could that be the problem? Have tried reinstalling the Xonar drivers, but that hasn't fixed it

Strange update --

Reverted back to TMT2 including running CCLeaner after uninstalling TMT3 to get rid of all registry bits etc.

1 good thing -- tearing gone away! YAY!

2 bad thing -- still no sound from TMT2.. I dont get an option in the Audio for HDMI-Passthrough....just HDMI

Could that be the problem? Have tried reinstalling the Xonar drivers, but that hasn't fixed it

Is it the version found on the Asus website?

Its different to TMT2.

bad thing -- still no sound from TMT2.. I dont get an option in the Audio for HDMI-Passthrough....just HDMI
The HDMI option on the Asus version is the passthrough option.

What amp do you have? what refresh rate are you using? what firmware version does your card have?

Hi Jameson,

I've got an Onkyo 606, and I have tried every refresh rate!!

Got a card with the 1.39 firmware now, so everything should be ok from that point of view, I can only think its something to do with 64 bit windows.

Im going to try and find another 32-bit disc from somewhere and start again......again!!! :)

Hi Jameson,

I've got an Onkyo 606, and I have tried every refresh rate!!

Got a card with the 1.39 firmware now, so everything should be ok from that point of view, I can only think its something to do with 64 bit windows.

Im going to try and find another 32-bit disc from somewhere and start again......again!!! :)

I have had a HDAV1.3 working with HDMI and 64bit. Its not the OS.

That could be it...its SP2 it states it doesnt work with, as opposed to just x64

That could be it...its SP2 it states it doesnt work with, as opposed to just x64

I never install the service packs until they have been out for about a month or so.

There is always teething troubles with a few programs that dont work with the new service pack. Can you do a roll back?

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems that Service Pack 2 was indeed the answer (although I couldn't find it in the installed updates?)

Complete reformat...NO UPDATES, install Xonar + TMT2 latest versions....virtual clonedrive and PRESTO!

Thanks for all your help guys...now just need to get the other codecs right to make sure my other files work properly, then get mediaportal configured and I might actually be there!

Really should be doing the config now....but I can't turn Wanted off....it sounds &&*&*&& AMAZING! :)

Last edited:
Glad you got it sorted mate. :smashin:

Not sure if this is still related to the Xonar, I guess not, but didn't want to start another problem thread!

On ALL of my videos, they play perfectly, but I get an occasional 'slow down' in the video for 1-2 seconds....the sound stays perfect.

I'm really not sure whats causing it, mainly due to the fact its EVERY type of video!! including BluRay, MKV, MPG. Its not a problem I have come across before, just wondered if anyone else has experienced it or has any ideas?

Forgot to say....its not the classic refresh rates!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom