1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperate for Smartphone advice (SPV C550 vs 6680 vs N70)

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Malcolm4000, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Malcolm4000

Malcolm4000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right, this might get a little complicated, but stick with me and I'll try to be as clear as I can.

I am in the market for a new phone; I've been with T-Mobile for about 3 yrs and am not really happy with the signal strength in my house, so when my contract expires on 26 Oct (next week) I'm thinking of jumping ship...and prefer to think about going 3G as it seems sensible - at the moment Orange and 3 are the front runners.

My needs are to replace my phone & PDA with one device, so the main priority is to be able to sync my calendar on Outlook on my PC - contacts less so, but it would be nice. I'm also running Tom Tom 3 on my Ipaq, and as my GPS is bluetooth, I'd love to be able to run TT3 on the phone. MP3 playback is fine, so I'm not that bothered, same with Camera. My current phone is a Nokia 6230, so going from 0.3 megapixel top either 1.3 or 2.0 MP will be a big step up anyway....

The phones I've been looking at are:
    Orange SPV C550
    Nokia 6680
    Nokia N70

The N70 is a nice phone, but only on T-Mobile at the moment, so not ideal, and the 6680 seems quite good but I'm not sure if it will sync the way I want it to with Outlook....the Orange phone seems good, but can I run my Sat Nav app with it. The other consideration is that I have car charger, headset etc for the nokia range and the Orange would need a whole new set of equipment - unless I can talk them into throwing in a car kit for me!! Is the N70 going to be more widespread soon, and should i wait for it???

Any advice on smartphones and the thoughts above would be very much appreciated, as would any thoughts on which network I should go with. The deals on '3' seem to be quite good, but am I missing something important - how can they be that cheap...!!

Hope you can help point me in the right direction....
    JON

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  3. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    i sell 3, they are honestly that cheap but i dont think therse any phones good enough for u apart from maybe the 6680??
    i have an spv m2000/xda2 thingy and i recomend the microsoft platform big time!
    so id prob go for the orange spv, infact if u dont mind the size go for the spv m5000/xda exec great pda/phone/brick lol that my next phone.

sat nav on the spv should be no prob at all!

4. aidey6

aidey6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
  5. gizmo_2005

gizmo_2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 6680 on Vodafone. Here's my 2 bobs worth -

Downside -

* Syncing is flaky.

* Poor PIM

* Reception is poor / average

* Video calling so rarely available as to be a waste of time (I live in central London)

* I've had the phone repaired twice already, for a dodgy microphone (I've had it about 3 months)

Upside -

* Nice design/layout

* Easy to use

* Fast internet / email access

* Decent camera

* The 6680 can read a lot (but not all) attachments

err.. thats it !

6. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    never get a 3g phone for the video calls
    they hardly ever work lol
    get one for cheap running costs!

although id stick to an xda type of product. aidey6 prob mentioned the best mix of phone/pda

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Just found that the 6630 will sync with Outlook on the PC

Difference between 6630 and 6680
    6630 has camera on back
    6680 has camera on both sides

Quick Office Premier allows you to read Word, Excel and Powerpoint docs on the phone

8. cdrider

cdrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    As much as I hate Orange I'd recommend the SPV range. I've recently replaced the c500 for the M500 so I'd say get a hold of them in the shop and have a play. The m500 has replaced a phone+PDS for me at least.