1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperate for opinion on new speaker system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Col, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Col

Col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a speaker system to go with my newly purchased Sherwood R-956R DD amp, and soon to be purchased Pioneer DV737.

I was going to go for the B&W S2 system, but heard several reports of it lacking in low-end. A few people recommended the Kef Q65.2 range but then I came across Mordaunt Shorts new THX Select 500 system on http://www.home-entertainment.co.uk/grouptest_read.asp?GroupID=1180&ArticleID=1191 . It doesn't look like demoing them is going to be easy as they're so new and the only place I've seen that sells them is Richer Sounds. They gave the impression they won't be getting them in store for a while. But from what I can see they look ideal. I like the idea of aluminium cones and the 10" subs in the bottom should keep me going until Rel release the Q150.

Has anyone had any experience of them or anything similar? I don't want to buy 'blind' but need to buy something soon!

2. Curve_Gavin

Curve_Gavin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll find richer sounds are the only outlet for Mordaunt Short.As they are with sherwood.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know with Mordaunt Short in particular, Richer Sounds have a "Controlling Interest" shall we say. I think that can also be said for Cambridge Audio and a few others.

4. Col

Col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean by that?

Does it mean the speakers are no good?

5. bigalroz

bigalroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Col,

You could try the Tannoy MX range. I have Tannoy speakers and they are excellent, plenty of bass even without a sub, and if you want a sub you pick up the excellent Tannoy MSUB10 or the newer Tannoy MXSUB10 for under £200 these days. Tannoy seem to be relatively easy to get your hands on too.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Col

I assume you are referring to my post although I could be wrong, what I mean is that Richer Sounds either own outright, or own large chunks of the brands it sells, this is by no means saying they are no good, and in fact mordaunt short speakers are regarded as good and have won awards in the past, of course if your question was not aimed at myself then sorry but I hope this info was useful.

Martin

7. Col

Col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Martin. I use Cambridge Audio - Pacific interconnects too :)

I still haven't found anyone who's heard these speakers yet!