Desperate for information/recommendation: new TV or secondhand?

Bully9

Things seem to have changed a lot since i bought my last TV 7 years ago. That was a Sony Bravia KDL50W8 LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 50" and i've absolutely loved it. I didn't connect to the internet, never used the 3D and the set performed faultlessly both on terrestrial and satellite.

Naively, I recently "upgraded" to a Sony BRAVIA KE55A8BU and seldom have i been so disappointed. The quality of the set is fine, but the user interface is particularly poor; using the EPG, satellite, favourites (in particular) etc is a nightmare compared to my last set. And now it's started losing channels and crashing - apparently at random. My last set never crashed once in 7 years. Software is up to date and i really don't want to be resetting my TV all the time.

I've come to realise that this TV is not really designed for 'traditional' viewing and i was wondering if anyone could possibly point me towards something more suited to my old-fashioned needs? For example, would i be better off looking for a TV that is based on a different operating system? Or would i need to look for an older second-hand set? Ideally i'd like 4k but i'm not worried about oled, which i found rather underwhelming.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom