• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Desperate for help with faulty home cinema!!

David j Blake

Novice Member
Hi,
Am hoping there's a kind and clever soul out there who could help enlighten me with my home cinema unit...
I have an LG 3D blu-ray home cinema system (model HX966) which I have had for around 3 years and have always predominantly used it for hooking up my games consoles to. I bought a PS4 yesterday and hooked it up to one of the HDMI out ports and it worked perfectly. Tried it this morning and the player has stopped working, the standby light comes on as normal and I can insert and remove discs but after 20 seconds it turns itself off, back to standby mode. I can't get any menus and It won't let me play any discs be it dvd , blue ray or a normal cd.
The PS4 works fine so could it be I have tripped something in the cinema system via the ps4 or is it more likely just coincidence? I have tried everything, including unplugging all wires, connectors etc and no joy. Have been using my Xbox one and 360 up until now with no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, also if it needs repair does anyone know what a ballpark figure would be? I live in the UK. It wasn't the most expensive system at the time but i still think it cost me around £700 and although i have had good use from it i would still feel a bit short-changed if it had broken already!!

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think it coincidental. Check all the other connections at the rear of the player, especcially those associated with speakers, checking for bare or stray copper wires. In fact I'd suggest you disconnect everything and leave the player unplugged from the mains for an hour. After the hour has passed, try the player without any connections to it. If it wrks again then reconnect your external devices (PS4) and the speakers one by one, turning the power off to do so and checking that the playing powers up correctly again after each new addition. If the player doesn't power up correctly initially and with nothing attached to it then the issue is with something internal.

Electricians usually charge £40 just to take a look. What it would cost to repair depends on what the issue is?

David j Blake

Novice Member
Thank you so much for replying! I will try it out now... Had a crappy day at work and was in that 'they dont make nothing nowadays that's built to last' and 'woe is me' mood so you have helped calm me!! Thanks again dante01!!

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom