Desktop Windows 10 not sleeping properly

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can anyone please help me as it’s doing my absolute box in!

Last month my Win 10 computer desktop wasn’t sleeping properly, I didn’t change anything, and would hang and not properly close down and sleep. I had to eventually press the on/off button on the desktop to properly shut it down, it’s like the computer was hanging. Then 3 weeks ago for some strange reason it started working again and was going to sleep no problem, I would get up in the morning, shake the mouse, and the computer would come alive.
It’s only within the last few days it’s resorted back to the old ways and again won’t sleep properly.....it’s doing my box in!

I could shut it down every time but then I have my browser windows open and pages etc and documents open, point is I would rather it sleeps than shut down completely, that is the whole point of the sleep function which I much prefer.

Has anyone else experienced this and how on earth do I fix this? Thanks

Mine sleeps the first time after boot but then never again so the work around if you can't fix it is-

Settings>accounts>sign-in options>'use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device...' make sure this is on.
'Restart Apps' turn this on.

Open an explorer window view>options>view 'Restore previous folder windows at log-on' tick this.

Browsers
Chrome/Edge- Settings>on start-up 'continue where you left off'
Firefox- Tools>options>general 'restore previous session.

This should re-open everything on every boot.

Last edited:
Cheers, will give it a go if the problem cant be fixed

I just don’t understand how it was sleeping before, and now it’s back to the old bad ways!

Similar issue here with W10. PC started turning on during the night for no reason, I've changed nothing and can find no "wake on LAN" setting, (even if I could find it, why would it have changed? Am also having an issue with the clock not being accurate. BIOS clock is fine.

PC has been working fine for months, then suddenly a change that I didn't instigate. :facepalm:

Just added a step that I missed to my above post 'restart apps' needs to be on.

I downloaded a program yesterday which is free and searches all outdated drivers, was able to update quite a few and not pay for the pro version.
Placed the computer to sleep last night and it worked....no idea if that’s what helped but will wait and see.

If your PC doesn’t sleep, run command prompt as administrator and type:

powercfg -requests

Note the space after "powercfg". This will show any running process on your PC that is stopping Windows from sleeping. If you then stop that process, it should restore normal sleep.

If your PC doesn’t sleep, run command prompt as administrator and type:

powercfg -requests

Note the space after "powercfg". This will show any running process on your PC that is stopping Windows from sleeping. If you then stop that process, it should restore normal sleep.

Is this after you’ve powered the computer back up again?

When I clicked sleep previously the computer started to go into sleep mode, the screens would go off but then it would hang, there was no option to revert back so it had to manually be switched off (on/off button pressed and held down) then booted back up.

So in that respect do you run the above before you click sleep, or do you run the above once the computer is all powered back on again?

Is this after you’ve powered the computer back up again?

When I clicked sleep previously the computer started to go into sleep mode, the screens would go off but then it would hang, there was no option to revert back so it had to manually be switched off (on/off button pressed and held down) then booted back up.

So in that respect do you run the above before you click sleep, or do you run the above once the computer is all powered back on again?

Try both ways to see if you can find a running process that is causing the problem.

Try both ways to see if you can find a running process that is causing the problem.

It just happened again :(

would not go into sleep mode so tried the CMD, see below and can you help?

EXECUTION: [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume14\Windows\System32\MoUsoCoreWorker.exe USO Worker

PERFBOOST: [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller

BFA448E7-7BB8-4B72-AF31-399D1016AC70.jpeg

Last edited:
Have had similar issues with my W10 setup but since this update 'Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2' everything is back to normal with sleep.

Look at this site to see if it helps.

Ok a bit of a breakthru

In CMD line I typed in: powercfg -requests, and all that was displayed was the 'Legacy Kernel Caller'.
So I then typed powercfg -requestsoverride

I also closed down my Chrome, then proceeded to make the computer sleep, it actually went to sleep. So going to try this again to see if it goes to sleep.

EDIT: Ok that didn’t work, due to me not typing in 'override' so something must be running in the background which is preventing the computer going to sleep. As requestsoverride was working presumably to ‘over ride’ something which was hanging.

All this shutting down by pressing the on/off button isn't doing my computer any good :(

Last edited:
Ok a bit of a breakthru

In CMD line I typed in: powercfg -requests, and all that was displayed was the 'Legacy Kernel Caller'.
So I then typed powercfg -requestsoverride

I also closed down my Chrome, then proceeded to make the computer sleep, it actually went to sleep. So going to try this again to see if it goes to sleep.

EDIT: Ok that didn’t work, due to me not typing in 'override' so something must be running in the background which is preventing the computer going to sleep. As requestsoverride was working presumably to ‘over ride’ something which was hanging.

All this shutting down by pressing the on/off button isn't doing my computer any good :(
Have you tried using Process Explorer to see any running programs that shouldn't be?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom