Question Desktop to Sony XH9505 video

vicky57t

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope this is the right sub-forum for this query.

I am trying to connect my desktop PC (which is around 5-6 years old and comes without an HDMI output on the video card/motherboard graphics) to a new TV.
So it is a VGA cable that I was using until now to connect it to my 8 years old LG tv which had VGA input.

Now I have bought a Sony XH9505 which only has USB and HDMI inputs. Would using something like this do the job of sending video from the desktop to the telly?
I am slightly confused as most of these items on ebay and amazon are called HDMI to VGA while what I really want is VGA to HDMI.

Hope you folks can advise.

Thanks

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I think you have to be careful with those adaptors as some don't convert the signal properly (remember VGA is analog and HDMi is digital so it isn't just a case of changing the connector type).

Also remember that the maximum resolution supported by VGA is less than 4k (i.e. the native resolution of your monitor) so this could be limiting depending on intended application. (EDIT: just seen your TV is probably 1080p based on age so this wouldn't matter at present.)

You can sometimes output USB to HDMi but based on the age of your PC I don't think that would be an option.

I don't want to encourage unnecessary spending but would it be out of the question to purchase a cheap 2nd hand discrete graphics card that has an HDMi output?

Last edited:
I think you have to be careful with those adaptors as some don't convert the signal properly (remember VGA is analog and HDMi is digital so it isn't just a case of changing the connector type).

Also remember that the maximum resolution supported by VGA is less than 4k (i.e. the native resolution of your monitor) so this could be limiting depending on intended application. (EDIT: just seen your TV is probably 1080p based on age so this wouldn't matter at present.)

You can sometimes output USB to HDMi but based on the age of your PC I don't think that would be an option.

I don't want to encourage unnecessary spending but would it be out of the question to purchase a cheap 2nd hand discrete graphics card that has an HDMi output?

Thanks, I had a think about it , will try and look on eBay if something with an HDMI output is available - would be the cleanest option I agree.

Thanks, I had a think about it , will try and look on eBay if something with an HDMI output is available - would be the cleanest option I agree.

The Sony runs Android TV which comes with Chromecast.

There is software called Airparrot which can send the video desktop via wireless to chromecast receivers, however this uses CPU to do the real time video capture so your PC might not be up to the task.

A low end GPU like this with HDMI 2.0 if you want to output 4K 60hz. The GPU can also handle video decoding if using playback software on PC, Kodi, MPC-HC, VLC etc.

The Sony runs Android TV which comes with Chromecast.

There is software called Airparrot which can send the video desktop via wireless to chromecast receivers, however this uses CPU to do the real time video capture so your PC might not be up to the task.

A low end GPU like this with HDMI 2.0 if you want to output 4K 60hz. The GPU can also handle video decoding if using playback software on PC, Kodi, MPC-HC, VLC etc.

Thanks @next010

I think airparrot might not be for me also because it seems like it needs its own monitor while mirroring the display - while I want to connect the Sony TV as the monitor/display for the desktop. Will check the GPU - think that might be the way to go as long as the cost is low

is something like this any good: nVidia Quadro NVS 310 512MB PCI-e Dual 2x DisplayPort Graphics Card 422715084524 | eBay ?

Seems cheap and has HDMI output (2 actually even though I need one). I will be using it to connect to my Sony TV only for watching movies etc that I play via the desktop PC. No gaming really

Also the desktop motherboard has a PCIEX16 slot vacant so I think it should be ok.

Main question is around the card and the memory itself being enough for what I want to do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom