1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desktop to Laptop network help needed!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by CooperUK, Mar 30, 2003.

1. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

winxp home
    realtek rtl8139/810x family fast ethernet NIC cards

I have tried to attachy my laptop to my desktop via the Realtek ethernet card in each, using a crossover cable, to no avail.

The network does not connect, and each of the network cards says "network cable unplugged".

In a dos promp, when using ipconfig, each of the cards come up with the info "media disconnected" despite the fact that boths cards are working well and the cable has been multimeter tested and is working OK.

Any suggestions? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Coop

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you manually set the IP range?

Network Dial-up settings

TCP/IP- Ticked
    File & Printer sharing for MS Networks-Ticked
    Client for MS Networks- Ticked

Use the Following IP Address..

IP Address- 132.147.63.1
    and
    IP Address- 132.147.63.2

Subnet Mask- 255.255.255.0

Don't forget you'll need to share a directory, otherwise you can't access the other PC (and of course share & allow to a user, ie, Bob is your laptop user, Bob is your desktop user, and use same password, and allow full rights to Bob)

I do know of someone who couldn't get XP Home working properly (network) switched over the XP Pro and had no problems.

3. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is a bit oversimplistic but I did the same thing recently.

In XP Home there is an option to make a disc for the other PC to configure the network.

I made this disc on my laptop(XP Home), whacked the card in the desktop (Win 98SE) and then stuck the disc in. Presto hey - one fully working network.

Hope that helps in some small way. (Sorry, not big on PC jargon)

Richard

4. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nathan_Silly for the suggestions, but unfortunately no joy there. I still get the message, "network cable unplugged" in the status area within network connections.

If anyone at all has any other suggestions i would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks,

Coop

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also try reducing to 10, instead of 100. On both pc's.

6. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    still no joy :(

7. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are you abolutely sure it's a crossover cable? Or that the cable isn't damaged in some way? Perhaps if you have access to a different cable you could try that.

8. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will get a new cable to try, then take it from there.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Coop

9. stormchaser

stormchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi
    also try,control panel,add remove software,add remove windows components and tick all relevant networking boxes,you'll need your os cd to do this ,
    cheers

10. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It must be the cable or one or both adapters. Even if the network configuration is screwy, the LAN would still acknowledge its existence. You just wouldn't be able to access either one from the other system.

My money's on the cable not being crosswired or a faulty/misaligned adapter.

BTW, if you plan on using Internet Connection Sharing the network should be 192.168.0.0 (IP address 192.168.0.1 for the computer sharing its connection, others will get dynamically assigned), and if not it should be 169.254.0.0.

11. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, things just seem to get even more confusing.

I took my laptop to my dad's to network to his PC (and then to his laptop) with a fully working crossover cable borrowed from work.

I cannot get a link between any of the machines, but in work this morning, I plugged my laptop into the network here and hey presto, the link was made!

In all four of the PCs owned by my dad and I it seems as if perhaps settings wise there is something missing, as my laptop's ethernet card is definitely working and I cannot believe that the three others are duff, bearing in mind that they are all less than a year old.

Is there some way of setting the computer being linked to as a server? I think that is where I am going wrong, that the desktop PC that has the ADSL connection is not sending out any information via its ethernet card.

I will ask out IT guy here at work today, but any suggestions from anyone here would be most appreciated too.

I expect that it is something very simple and that I am being extremely daft :blush:

12. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry about being daft too much - computer networking can seem daft at the best of times.

From the sound of what you have described, it is fairly clear that it is not a configuration issue, yet! The "media disconnected" as someone pointed out is a link layer issue, which precedes any network based configuration. Typically, this would be caused by speed/duplex mismatches at either end, a damaged cable, or a straight through cable as opposed to a crossover.

You say that the link worked at work, this would be into a switch, not another PC and would be made with a straight through connection. It has been known for certain NIC combinations or OS instances to give you these kind of problems, If you eliminate the cable, the wiring of the cable and the speed/duplex settings, try a hub between the PCs (connected with straight throughs of course). You will probably find this works.

Also be aware that not all NICs are equal, and realtek are worst than most. An Intel based network card would be more reliable and give better performance.

13. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right another possibly stupid idea from me. Feel free to ignore it.

When I network my desktop and laptop, I have to wait at least 5 minutes before they recognise each other. Until at least 5 mins has passed they both say that no connection or network exists.

Richard.

14. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decided to contact the warranty people last night, and they were exceptionally helpful!

They think that perhaps there is some problem with the ethernet card in the mobo, so are coming out to replace the mobo, free of charge, on a date that I asked for which suits my schedule.

Well, blow me down and various other shocked type phrases.

If that is not it, at least I will have an engineer there who may be able to sort out the problem in some other way.

Here's hoping I'll be networked soon :rolleyes: