Desktop screen only showing right half of screen

laserbeam

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My wifes notepad is only showing the desktop screen on the right half of the screen the left half is empty.She must have pressed something to cause this.How can we get the desktop screen back to it's normal size.Her OP is Windows 8.1

Thanks for the reply but when when you say right click and go to properties what does she right click on.Do we right click on the desktop as have tried that but it does not bring up properties.

Is the desktop half it's normal width but otherwise correct, squeezed so everything is narrower or simply missing the right half entirely?

Yes everything is there but it is all squeezed into the right side and the left side is empty.The desktop is complete but the contents are in the right hand side nothing in the left hand side.If that make sense.My wife must have pressed something that was'nt meant to be pressed.

If right click doesn't bring up display properties you can also access them via Control Panel/Display.

When you are running programs and maximize them do they cover the entire screen or only half of it?
Can you drag/drop icons from the desktop on the right of the screen onto the blank left of the screen?

When we run a program and maximise they use the hole screen.And yes I can drag and drop the desktop icons to the L/H side.But why have they all gone onto the R/H side.

When we run a program and maximise they use the hole screen.And yes I can drag and drop the desktop icons to the L/H side.But why have they all gone onto the R/H side.
From what you describe you don't have a problem. Drag the icons back across and you are sorted.
As to reasons why they could be various, but the reason isn't needed; just the solution.
Move everything back to how it was and forget about why it happened.

Last edited:
Your descriptions aren't very clear, are you saying it's that the icons have moved and that the rest of the desktop (wallpaper, taskbar etc.) is still normal?

Your descriptions aren't very clear, are you saying it's that the icons have moved and that the rest of the desktop (wallpaper, taskbar etc.) is still normal?
Yes but am going to do what was previously suggested which was drag and drop the icons to the other side and see what happens.

If you right click on an empty area of the desktop then there should be sort and auto arrange options that will move the icons.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom