Question Desktop PC & Sky Go

bondquest

Novice Member
Reaction score
My first post, so I wasn't sure which forum to use.

My son uses his desktop PC to watch Sky using Sky Go. He's using his LG TV as the monitor. The desktop has a wired connection, so there's hardly any buffering issues.

The desktop is a Windows 7 Medion. It's around 3 years old, and has graphics and sound on the motherboard.

Would fitting separate graphics and sound cards to the desktop improve his viewing and listening experience (in respect of watching streaming TV), and if so does anybody recommend any particular types?

Last edited:
What video and sound output does he currently use? VGA, DVI, HDMI? You don't really want to be using VGA. So a DVI or HDMI is the best connection to a digital TV. Also I'm assuming it's a full HD LG TV with a 1080p (1920 x 1080) resolution?

If it's digital then the picture quality for streaming TV is probably as good as it's going to get. Full specs on the PC would be handy to see too.

Oh and welcome to the forum. Lots of useful information about in various sections so would always encourage a good browse around. There's a great guide for setting up your TV picture too as using the standard picture settings is normally pretty rubbish compared to having made a few adjustments.

Guide on the homepage and linked here: Picture Perfect TV setup guide

Last edited:
Assuming there's no playback problems, a video card won't help until Sky transitions to HEVC/VP9 encoding. As support for them is still patchy/expensive you're better off waiting for that to happen before buying.

A sound card will depend on how the speakers are connected. If it's HDMI to the TV's speakers then it won't make a difference.

That's in terms of accuracy of reproduction (quality if you like). A different set of software from a different brand of product may offer different options to process the picture/audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom