Desktop machine for under £250

TheProperJayC

Morning boys and girls :hiya:

I've been looking around to see whether I could replace my rather old desktop machine for something new and shiny, for less than £250.

Now I've not built a pc for about 10 years now, and have only really fixed friends pcs in the meantime. So I'm somewhat out of touch!
I don't want a beast of a machine as I don't envisage I'll use it loads, but I would like to be able to do some HD video editing on it, and although its not really important, it would be nice to play games on it if possible. But processing power > gfx capabilities

I've seen a few pre-built machines kicking around, namely this one - Zoostorm Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com which from my out of date brain looks to be pretty decent value really. Lack of OS and peripherals isn't a problem, I've got plenty spare.
But could I build something better for the money?

Is an i3 a better chip? Zoostorm Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com (slightly over budget, but could stretch if its worth it)

So;
  • £250 budget
  • Needs to handle HD video editing
  • Gaming would be nice but not essential

Suggestions welcome :thumbsup:

brookheather

Distinguished Member
The quad core AMD may equal the Core i3 performance if all four cores are being used by the video editing software but I would go for the Core i3 as you have an upgraded path to much more powerful processors in the future if you want to improve performance. The AMD will be better for gaming than the Core i3 but both will struggle with higher resolutions or current games so you would want to buy a graphics card anyway for gaming.

Now I've not built a pc for about 10 years now, and have only really fixed friends pcs in the meantime. So I'm somewhat out of touch!
I don't want a beast of a machine... but I would like to be able to do some HD video editing on it....it would be nice to play games on it if possible. But processing power > gfx capabilities

I've seen a few pre-built machines kicking around, namely this one - Zoostorm Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com which from my out of date brain looks to be pretty decent value really. Lack of OS and peripherals isn't a problem, I've got plenty spare.
But could I build something better for the money?

Is an i3 a better chip? Zoostorm Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com (slightly over budget, but could stretch if its worth it)

So;
  • £250 budget
  • Needs to handle HD video editing
  • Gaming would be nice but not essential

Suggestions welcome :thumbsup:
Not sure you'll get HD video editing by building your own at that budget unless you've got some parts already

Normally, from the two you list, I'd go for the Intel i3 every time. Modern, quite fast for its price, runs cool, uses little power. Does everything most folk want from a home computer

But for video, I'd be inclined to use the AMD on account of speed and the video card even though that is not of the fastest

All IMHO

TheProperJayC

Thanks fellas. Do AMDs still run a bit hotter than the Intels? That always used to be the case back when I actually knew a bit about PCs :D

Do you think the 300w PSU would be alright in this? Its bound to be a fairly cheap one isn't it?

brookheather

Distinguished Member

TheProperJayC

Yes the AMD cpu will use nearly twice the power and will run hotter/cooler will need to run higher speed etc.

The 300W PSU will be fine but is a budget model and some people have reported that it is quite noisy. If you want to replace it with a quality PSU then this one is a good deal:

OCZ Technology 500W CoreXStream Series Power Supply (OCZ-CSX500W-UK) - BT Shop
Thanks for that. I'd certainly replace it if I thought it was that noisy.

Do you think its worth getting an extra 8gb of RAM to bump it up to 16, or would I really not notice any benefit?

brookheather

Distinguished Member
Sorry I don't know whether HD video editing software would benefit from more than 8GB ram.

LJx

If you want to put it together yourself, Aria do DIY barebones bundles that have decent parts inc PSU, case etc starting at £220 for the Pentium and £300 for the i3. It makes more sense than changing the PSU out on one of those zoostorms

If you want to put it together yourself, Aria do DIY barebones bundles that have decent parts inc PSU, case etc starting at £220 for the Pentium and £300 for the i3. It makes more sense than changing the PSU out on one of those zoostorms
Agree with that, no point in buying new and then starting to upgrade straight away

You are right that AMD run hotter/use more power and that Intel much better. But video editing uses much cpu. Ideally I'd go for i5 but you'll also need a video card & you're over budget by a mile

8gb ram ok. Rather better cpu than another 8

TheProperJayC

Agree with that, no point in buying new and then starting to upgrade straight away

You are right that AMD run hotter/use more power and that Intel much better. But video editing uses much cpu. Ideally I'd go for i5 but you'll also need a video card & you're over budget by a mile

8gb ram ok. Rather better cpu than another 8
So how would something like this stack up against that Zoostorm?
MSI P23 760G Mushkin FX-4100 Barebones Kit w/ 3 FREE Games! - Aria PC

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom