Desktop Intel i5 Socket 1151 CPU upgrade or new platform?

arachnoid

I have an Intel Core Skylake i5 6500 (3.2GHz) cpu on a Gigabyte H170M HD3 1151 DDR4 S-ATA 600 motherboard (MATX) and 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400MHz Corsair memory. The components were purchased in 2016. The motherboard spec states it supports 4th Gen Intel CPU's. It has four memory slots. I run Windows 64, and Linux and VM's on alternate boot media.

I need to upgrade for increased performance on video processing, multi-tasking, and maybe gaming (sim racing) later. Currently, I'm using onboard graphics though I have an Nvidia 1070Ti card at hand. It looks like I could upgrade the CPU to e.g. 6th Gen Skylake.

I want a step-up increase in performance and thinking of at least an 8-core CPU, and a platform/motherboard that will last me 3-5 years. I'm lucky that I have cases, PSU's, graphics cards and accessories at hand so any spending would be focused on CPU, motherboard, memory, and maybe an M2 SSD. I've been looking at the AMD options, e.g. 3900X and a 550 or X570 motherboard and 64GB memory. Those components (sans M2) would run to around £800 though my budget is tight and a lower cost would be better. I'm open to any brand, that meets my needs (and even considered used Power Macs, though a bit reluctant to buy old/used kit).

Thoughts, suggestions, please?

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
You're mixing up your hardware somewhere. The Gigabyte H170M HD3 is an LGA 1151 board for 6000 and 7000 processors (like the i5-6500), not an LGA 1150 board for 4000 and 5000 processors.

If it is H170 then it will likely be capable of booting from PCI-E drives, you just have to put them in the PCI-E slots rather than in an M.2 slot (via an adaptor card if you buy an M.2 drive). PCI-E drive support for LGA 1150 boards was more mixed.

The first thing I'd do is try and find some benchmarks for your particular workload and software. You could get a lot less benefit than expected if your application can only really use four cores for example.

arachnoid

One other thing, at the moment I'm swapping out boot drives from a 2.5" bay. If I use an M2 or PCI disk it will not be so easy to change OS (I prefer not to use multiboot)

next010

Distinguished Member
I did something similar replacing a kaby lake CPU.

I went with an MSI B550 AM4 motherboard and AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT I got used, its good enough and AM4 is nearing the end of its life cycle so I didn't want to spend a lot of money with AM5 due next year.

If also so inclined there is a clearance Ryzen 5 3600X here for £212 (6 cores, 12 threads, some benchmarks), the 3600XT is a bit faster.

This MSI board is mATX AM4 is £79 and has a useful onboard bios flash with no CPU required.

64GB DDR4 will probably eat up the rest of your budget.

JollyJamma

I have an Intel Core Skylake i5 6500 (3.2GHz) cpu on a Gigabyte H170M HD3 1151 DDR4 S-ATA 600 motherboard (MATX) and 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400MHz Corsair memory. The components were purchased in 2016. The motherboard spec states it supports 4th Gen Intel CPU's. It has four memory slots. I run Windows 64, and Linux and VM's on alternate boot media.

I need to upgrade for increased performance on video processing, multi-tasking, and maybe gaming (sim racing) later. Currently, I'm using onboard graphics though I have an Nvidia 1070Ti card at hand. It looks like I could upgrade the CPU to e.g. 6th Gen Skylake.

I want a step-up increase in performance and thinking of at least an 8-core CPU, and a platform/motherboard that will last me 3-5 years. I'm lucky that I have cases, PSU's, graphics cards and accessories at hand so any spending would be focused on CPU, motherboard, memory, and maybe an M2 SSD. I've been looking at the AMD options, e.g. 3900X and a 550 or X570 motherboard and 64GB memory. Those components (sans M2) would run to around £800 though my budget is tight and a lower cost would be better. I'm open to any brand, that meets my needs (and even considered used Power Macs, though a bit reluctant to buy old/used kit).

Thoughts, suggestions, please?

Well an upgrade would be a big improvement to your ability to run VM's.

I'd say getting at least a 6 or 8 core CPU would be a great starting point (AMD 3600 or AMD 3800 or AMD 5600).

Your RAM is going to hold you back at 2400mhz and the i5 6500 is OK for basic gaming but it will lag behind a modern CPU.

For the money: AMD 3600, B550 motherboard, 2 times 16gig (8gig by 2 kits) Patriot Viper Steel 4000.

Any B550 motherboard in the £180 will be fine - you're not going to be a power user any time soon. If I had to pick one, the MSI B550 Unify gets my vote.

arachnoid

Well an upgrade would be a big improvement to your ability to run VM's.

I'd say getting at least a 6 or 8 core CPU would be a great starting point (AMD 3600 or AMD 3800 or AMD 5600).

Your RAM is going to hold you back at 2400mhz and the i5 6500 is OK for basic gaming but it will lag behind a modern CPU.

For the money: AMD 3600, B550 motherboard, 2 times 16gig (8gig by 2 kits) Patriot Viper Steel 4000.

Any B550 motherboard in the £180 will be fine - you're not going to be a power user any time soon. If I had to pick one, the MSI B550 Unify gets my vote.

Thanks. I managed to snag an Asus TUF Gaming B550 open box from Amazon and some Crucial 3600 CL16 memory. I'm looking out for a CPU deal. Is the 56xx going to be much better than the 36xx, considering the price difference?

JollyJamma

Thanks. I managed to snag an Asus TUF Gaming B550 open box from Amazon and some Crucial 3600 CL16 memory. I'm looking out for a CPU deal. Is the 56xx going to be much better than the 36xx, considering the price difference?

Do yourself a favour and see if that motherboard POSTS (you’ll need a CPU)

I’ve heard of people retuning a damaged motherboard to Amazon and since Amazon doesn’t know their ear from their elbow when it comes to motherboards, they just accept it.

Price for performance, the 5600X isn’t worth the cost difference between the two for a budget minded gamer.

if you’re going to be running Cyberpunk 2077, get 6 or more cores. If you’re doing a little bit of casual gaming and don’t want to break the bank, 3300X or 3600 would be great.

I’m selling my 3300X for £100 and that would be a great entry level gaming chip.

arachnoid

After building the system, I could not POST. I was thinking the m/b might have to go back. Just by chance (when moving the PC) I switched power cables and it powered up. Quite a coincidence that the fuse (3A) blew.

One issue I have is that the windows/old files (file explorer reporting >1.5GB) cannot be seen, even with 'show hidden files' set. I've copied them over to a backup media as I read somewhere that Windows might delete files after 10 days. Is there any way to view the files in windows.old? I always like to trawl through and make sure I'm not missing anything (and never had this visibility problem before).

JollyJamma

I've never had a problem deleting the Windows.old files.

You can back it up if you want but I've never had reason to use that old data file.

arachnoid

I've never had a problem deleting the Windows.old files.

You can back it up if you want but I've never had reason to use that old data file.
I'm not trying to delete. I'm trying to access/view. Windows explorer says 'The folder is empty' yet properties says there is content (tens of thousands of files).

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom