Desktop Computer not working with new LG OLED tv

stevied53

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello to all! I am having an issue where I can't get any video from my desktop computer to a new LG OLED tv...

The desktop computer is configured as follows:
Gigabyte P55A-UD4P Motherboard (no on-board graphics)
Intel Core i7 CPU [email protected] w/ 8GB RAM
NVidea GeForce GTX 260 896MB RAM w/ latest NVidea driver 342.01 (2-DVI outputs)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit w/ all updates

The desktop was previously connected to a Samsung 32" 720p (1366x768) LN32D403 via DVI-to-HDMI cable and worked just fine. We recently purchased a new LG 55" 4K OLED55BXPUA and I can't for the life of me get it to take input from the desktop. All I get is the "No Signal" error on the tv. On the LG I have gone to the Home Dashboard and configured that input as "PC". I have connected a small HP V20 monitor to the the other graphics output so I can see what's going on with the desktop. The only way I can get any video on the tv is if I go into Windows display settings and select "Duplicate these displays" or "Extend these displays". But if I just select the tv I get the "No Signal" message. This happens using either the Windows display settings or the NVidea Control Panel.

If I boot the desktop with just the tv connected, I sometimes see the following: BIOS splash screen-->black "Loading operating system" screen''-->blue Windows screen with spinning dot circle-->then finally the "No Signal" error. But other times I just get "No Signal" during the entire boot sequence.

Some other info:
I have an little Atom powered Minis Forum mini-pc that I use with another tv. That works fine with the new LG. Also I can connect any laptop in the house to the new tv and there's no issue. It's only the desktop that won't connect.

I'm pretty frustrated at this point so advice would be kindly appreciated...8-]

-Steve D

Disabling fast startup has helped some with NV GPU's and LG OLED's in a similar situation but why though is unknown.

Another thing to try is go into the NV control panel resolution section, select the OLED and deselect use Nvidia colour defaults from the menu select YCC 444 or 422 and 8-bit, see if that helps.

Disabling fast startup has helped some with NV GPU's and LG OLED's in a similar situation but why though is unknown.

Another thing to try is go into the NV control panel resolution section, select the OLED and deselect use Nvidia colour defaults from the menu select YCC 444 or 422 and 8-bit, see if that helps.
Thank you for your quick response. I just disabled fast startup both in the bios and in the Windows 10 settings without any luck.

On the Nvidia control panel, if I go to "adjust desktop color settings" >"apply the following enhancements">"digital color format", the only options I see are RBG and YCbCr444. The default was RBG so I tried the latter option but that didn't help.

I just realized there are four HDMI inputs on the TV. Two of them are marked 4K@120Hz. When I use one of those I see the BIOS splash, the op system load screen, and the windows spinning dots, but then finally the dreaded "no signal". On the two standard HDMI inputs I just get "no signal".

-Steve D

Last edited:
Thank you for your quick response. I just disabled fast startup both in the bios and in the Windows 10 settings without any luck.

On the Nvidia control panel, if I go to "adjust desktop color settings" >"apply the following enhancements">"digital color format", the only options I see are RBG and YCbCr444. The default was RBG so I tried the latter option but that didn't help.

I just realized there are four HDMI inputs on the TV. Two of them are marked 4K@120Hz. When I use one of those I see the BIOS splash, the op system load screen, and the windows spinning dots, but then finally the dreaded "no signal". On the two standard HDMI inputs I just get "no signal".

-Steve D

The only other thing I can think of is that the DVI to HDMI cable is somehow part of the problem combined with the TV. You could try getting another like this.

You could also try the CRU and force a stock 1080p 60Hz output, this requires altering the displays EDID via the utility.

Download CRU and extract to a folder
  • run CRU and at top select the LG CX OLED from the display list.
  • look for detailed resolutions section and click on add
  • under timing select automatic HDTV
  • set horizontal to 1920 and vertical to 1080 then select ok
  • back on main screen select ok again to close CRU
  • in CRU folder run restart64 to apply the changes
  • go to the windows resolution section (not GPU driver control panel) settings->system->display and apply 1920x1080 at 59hz (click on advanced display settings to make sure its 59Hz).

See if that works.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thank you for your suggestions next010.

I am currently using this DVI-D cable which I think means 24+1 and is equivalent to the delayCON cable you recommended?

While following your instructions for CRU I encountered two issues:
1. If I select "Automatic (HDTV)" in the timing section and hit OK, the setting doesn't stick. When I reopen the newly created entry for 1920x1080 the timing still indicates "Manual".
2. After running CRU and restart64, I go to the Windows 10 Display settings , "Select a display below to change the settings for it" and I selected display #2 for the LG OLED (the HP V20 monitor I'm viewing this on is display #1). But the "Display resolution" section is completely greyed out along with the size and orientation boxes so I can't enter the new resolution. That's where I'm currently stuck at the moment.

-Steve D

Thank you for your suggestions next010.

I am currently using this DVI-D cable which I think means 24+1 and is equivalent to the delayCON cable you recommended?

While following your instructions for CRU I encountered two issues:
1. If I select "Automatic (HDTV)" in the timing section and hit OK, the setting doesn't stick. When I reopen the newly created entry for 1920x1080 the timing still indicates "Manual".
2. After running CRU and restart64, I go to the Windows 10 Display settings , "Select a display below to change the settings for it" and I selected display #2 for the LG OLED (the HP V20 monitor I'm viewing this on is display #1). But the "Display resolution" section is completely greyed out along with the size and orientation boxes so I can't enter the new resolution. That's where I'm currently stuck at the moment.

-Steve D

I don't know which cable to try, just a suggestion to try another.

For CRU remove the added HDTV entry from detailed section and instead under standard resolution section add 1920x1080 (16:9) at 60Hz. Close CRU via ok button run, restart64 and see if that works with the output.

Beyond those basics you might want to ask the CRU forum thread as maybe the DVI-HDMI requires some special alterations beyond the basic settings.

Success!! Your last CRU change suggestion did the trick and now I'm getting 1080p resolution on my LG OLED BX which I think is the maximum for my old GeForce GTX 260. Thank you so much for your patient help!

I have one more question. What is the best way to get audio from the desktop to the TV? Can I do it with the DVI-HDMI adapter, or do I need a separate cable? I don't really see any separate audio inputs on the LG TV...

Success!! Your last CRU change suggestion did the trick and now I'm getting 1080p resolution on my LG OLED BX which I think is the maximum for my old GeForce GTX 260. Thank you so much for your patient help!

I have one more question. What is the best way to get audio from the desktop to the TV? Can I do it with the DVI-HDMI adapter, or do I need a separate cable? I don't really see any separate audio inputs on the LG TV...

DVI is a pretty old interface (replaced by Displayport and HDMI), it didn't support audio but later versions did so it may depend upon the GPU and I just don't know if your does. GTX 470 is oldest I could see confirmed to support it.

If you have a monitor with built in speakers and a DVI interface and never got any audio from it via DVI then you may have your answer.

You could look at CRU and see if it has the audio entries for stereo PCM.
CRU main screen go to extension blocks
CTA-861 (add or edit)
Data Blocks
Audio Formats (add or edit)
  • LPCM
  • 2 channels
  • sample rates 32/44/48
  • bit-depths 16/20/24
Speaker Setup (add or edit)
* Front Left/Right

The other option is get a DVI converter with audio support like this, it has a 3.5mm analogue audio jack so you plug that jack into the green audio jack on your PC and the HDMI into the TV.

That should combine the audio into the HDMI video stream.

I don't see a listing for Speaker Setup under Data Blocks?

I notice in the NVidea Control Panel there is a submenu to "Set up digital audio". In the #1 section "Verify displays that will appear as audio devices in the Windows Sound Settings", my GeForce GTX 260 is listed with the LG TV shown as DVI (1). But in section #2 "Configure playback devices with the Windows Sound Settings" I can't find the LG TV listed.

If I can't get this working I'll start looking for an adapter...:cool:

-Steve D

You have to add the speaker setup if its missing from the data blocks section.

For windows go to settings->system->sound and select LG TV nvidia DVI or HD audio whatever it says, don't use NV control panel.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-14 191450.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-14 191450.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 126
I added the speaker data setup section as per your instructions, but Windows sound output says "No output devices found". If look at the Playback settings in Control Panel Sound menu, there is an entry for "Speakers High Definition Audio Device" but it indicates "Not plugged in".

Should audio be turned on or off on the NVidea control panel?

Should the HDMI input on the TV be set to Bitstream or PCM?

-Steve D

Last edited:
Yeah try the NV set up digital audio but it if doesn't detect a compatible display then your out of luck.

Speakers HD audio device is likely the built into sound chip with the analogue out.

TV should be on PCM for stereo.

It looks like the NVidea driver is seeing the LG TV...

image.png

But when I open Windows Sound Settings I only see the spdif optical and headphone outputs...

image.png

1621082337639-png.1512089

I guess I will try to find an adapter that combines the spdif optical audio and the DVI video to an HDMI input on the tv. Or the 3.5mm headphone output and DVI video to HDMI. Does that make sense or is there a better way to do this?

-Steve D

Last edited:
It looks like the NVidea driver is seeing the LG TV...

But when I open Windows Sound Settings I only see the spdif optical and headphone outputs...

1621082337639-png.1512089

I guess I will try to find an adapter that combines the spdif optical audio and the DVI video to an HDMI input on the tv. Or the 3.5mm headphone output and DVI video to HDMI. Does that make sense or is there a better way to do this?

-Steve D

Unsure, something may be missing but basics for default PCM audio are there in the CRU, you could try asking in their forums.

As for other paths it's get DVI with audio adapter or get a new GPU like this GT 1030 has a HDMI 2.0 port and audio support.

Nothing else I can think of.

Well thank you sincerely so much for helping me to get the video working. That was the main hurdle! I'll give the CRU forum at try for the audio issue, or find a usable adapter. Cheers!

-Steve D

Last edited:
Just to update, even after the excellent suggestions on the CRU forum, I was unable to get the audio working through my standard DVI-HDMI cable. So I went ahead and ordered the converter/adapter you suggested from Amazon UK (they didn't have a similar one that I could find in the states) and I finally received it today. I connected the DVI male from the adapter to my GTX 260, the 3.5mm audio input into my motherboard, the auxiliary power to an open USB port, and the HDMI output into the LG tv. Video works great but I still can't get any audio. As a test I removed the 3.5mm audio input of the adapter out of the back of the computer, and plugged it into my phone playing Spotify; but still no audio. Not sure what I could be doing wrong but I'm open to any suggestions...8-]
-Steve D

Just to update, even after the excellent suggestions on the CRU forum, I was unable to get the audio working through my standard DVI-HDMI cable. So I went ahead and ordered the converter/adapter you suggested from Amazon UK (they didn't have a similar one that I could find in the states) and I finally received it today. I connected the DVI male from the adapter to my GTX 260, the 3.5mm audio input into my motherboard, the auxiliary power to an open USB port, and the HDMI output into the LG tv. Video works great but I still can't get any audio. As a test I removed the 3.5mm audio input of the adapter out of the back of the computer, and plugged it into my phone playing Spotify; but still no audio. Not sure what I could be doing wrong but I'm open to any suggestions...8-]
-Steve D

If this was the product you bought it seems to imply in poor English that the audio is for VGA only I think which may explain why it doesn't work.

Try a dedicated USB charger instead of PC USB in case its a power issue ?

Also does your device have an audio input jack sitting between HDM and VGA ports try connecting that to the PC sound output and see what happens. The one I linked to had a 3.5mm audio cable in tandem to the DVI cable so I assumed it was suitable and had no warnings about audio.

If the device is VGA audio only then its of no use sadly, something like this device which is much more expensive may work (you also need 3.5mm to RCA phono adapter for audio). This is half the price a USB3 graphics adapter should get you audio/video but it does have a number of limitations to take note of on the product page.

Last edited:
I purchased the Bewinner 4 in 1 DVI to VGA + HDMI adapter with audio referenced earlier in the thread. I tried connecting a USB charger to power the unit instead of the PC USB. I plugged the 3.5mm male audio (tandem with the DVI cable) into the audio output of my pc but I could get no sound (works fine with my home theater). Then I tried the female audio jack sitting between the HDMI and VGA ports, but still no audio. PCM or Bitstream on the tv doesn't seem to make a difference.

Probably the time has come to bite the bullet and purchase a newer HDMI graphics card. Can you recommend something affordable that can handle 4k video? I don't play any video games just streaming and movies. Thanks for your help...

I purchased the Bewinner 4 in 1 DVI to VGA + HDMI adapter with audio referenced earlier in the thread. I tried connecting a USB charger to power the unit instead of the PC USB. I plugged the 3.5mm male audio (tandem with the DVI cable) into the audio output of my pc but I could get no sound (works fine with my home theater). Then I tried the female audio jack sitting between the HDMI and VGA ports, but still no audio. PCM or Bitstream on the tv doesn't seem to make a difference.

Probably the time has come to bite the bullet and purchase a newer HDMI graphics card. Can you recommend something affordable that can handle 4k video? I don't play any video games just streaming and movies. Thanks for your help...

Due to semi-conductor shortage GPU prices are insane at the moment.

A GT-1030 should still be affordable, some of these come with HDMI 2.0 for 4K 60hz output, this is one example if you can find it in stock

I wouldn't bother with a £90 card on such an old machine, you can get an entire second hand PC with an HDMI output and similar performance for that sort of money - often ex-business slim towers/mini PCs that are a lot more compact too.

Yes in retrospect a different PC probably would have been the more prudent way to go. However I did learn a few things along the way and that definitely make it's all money well spent! Well maybe haha...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom