Desk top headphone advice with zen dac and audioquest nighthawk headphones

tonyrees687

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I listen to Radio Paradise a lot and Spotify premium on my headphones. Listening from my pc I have a printer cable thing, usb to the zen dac and then the headphones in the unbalanced jack. The sound is good but are there ways of improving the sound from what is outputted from the pc. Any settings in the pc that helps or is this the best I can get with the equipment I have.
Cheers

Hi

Is this a ZEN DAC v1 or v2?

First thing I would do - get a dedicated power supply so you're not using power over the USB (noise!). iFi do 2 different power supply upgrades (iPower 5v or iPowerX 5v).

You could take a look at a ZEN CAN headphone amplifier (more output, better control) and set the DAC to fixed output.

You could also then look at a good quality USB 3 cable for the DAC too :)

Hope this helps!

Lee

With the sources you have (i.e. Spotify Premium and Radio Paradise), it may not make sense to invest too much extra money in hardware.

I do not have Spotify, but a quick search online suggests it uses DirectSound and does not offer ASIO / WASAPI (although the request to do so is a live idea). Therefore, the output reaching the DAC is limited by the Windows sound system - there’s some more info about the differences here.

Due to that limitation, it becomes questionable how much extra improvement can be achieved from what is to some extent a ‘limited’ source signal that is reaching the DAC.

I have no ideas about how Radio Paradise would be working, so cannot speak to that side of things.

I listen to Radio Paradise a lot and Spotify premium on my headphones. Listening from my pc I have a printer cable thing, usb to the zen dac and then the headphones in the unbalanced jack. The sound is good but are there ways of improving the sound from what is outputted from the pc. Any settings in the pc that helps or is this the best I can get with the equipment I have.
Cheers
As @YorkshireLee has mentioned, a Zen CAN and a power supply for DAC would be our recommendation too.
If you want to take a next step, instead of USB cable, we recommend to get a balanced cable for the headphones and a balanced cable for DAC/AMP. Balanced signal offers lower interference, lower distortion, and running your cans balanced will give the amplifier more control over the drivers inside.

@wizball1974 is also right about sound quality of Spotify. It is a limiting factor in your system. We recommend switching to Qobuz, or Tidal for a significant improvement.

Ok thanks all I have not replied yet as just digesting the info.
So Its a Zen Dac v1 this also runs a pair of slejes speakers on the desktop. So first step is a power supply for the zen dac. As for spotifi I like the platform and all the rest of the family are using it. Been thinking tidal for a while especially now Lyngdorf suport it. So a tidal account is an extra cost I need to think about to run along side with the spotifi
So
1. Power supply, I have just plugged one in (just one I had around ) and the midtones are better, I think cleaner would be the word. This was an effect I didn't expect as my headphones are pretty dark in personality,. So would the ipower supply be preferable? @YorkshireLee.
Thanks @wizball1974 the link I read explained some things and makes a lot of sense.
2. So can a Zen Can can do my headphones and my desktop speakers and if so how and how to connect everything up without the usb and balanced. @iFi audio

If you want to take a next step, instead of USB cable, we recommend to get a balanced cable for the headphones and a balanced cable for DAC/AMP. Balanced signal offers lower interference, lower distortion, and running your cans balanced will give the amplifier more control over the drivers inside.
Thanks all and thanks for the help

@tonyrees687 - yes the iPower 5v will be a good shout for you. The iPower X are exceptional but I'd put that extra spend towards something else at this stage :)

The ZEN CAN is solely a headphone amp. What speakers do you have?

Speakers are Steljes powered speakers run off the zen dac they are a few years old now. Headphones and speakers all through the zen dac so what you have in mind

Last edited:
Ok thanks all I have not replied yet as just digesting the info.
So Its a Zen Dac v1 this also runs a pair of slejes speakers on the desktop. So first step is a power supply for the zen dac. As for spotifi I like the platform and all the rest of the family are using it. Been thinking tidal for a while especially now Lyngdorf suport it. So a tidal account is an extra cost I need to think about to run along side with the spotifi
So
1. Power supply, I have just plugged one in (just one I had around ) and the midtones are better, I think cleaner would be the word. This was an effect I didn't expect as my headphones are pretty dark in personality,. So would the ipower supply be preferable? @YorkshireLee.
Thanks @wizball1974 the link I read explained some things and makes a lot of sense.
2. So can a Zen Can can do my headphones and my desktop speakers and if so how and how to connect everything up without the usb and balanced. @iFi audio

Thanks all and thanks for the help
There is a misunderstanding. Without the USB cable meant without the upgraded USB cable - it was recommended before.

Our recommendation is exactly as follows (importance from top to bottom):
1. Zen CAN to drive your headphones as an addition to the Zen DAC
2. A better power supply for Zen DAC eg. iPower mk2
3. Balanced cable between your headphones and Zen CAN
4. Balanced cable between the Zen DAC and Zen AMP like this one

I hope that clears the thing up :)

There is a misunderstanding. Without the USB cable meant without the upgraded USB cable - it was recommended before.

Our recommendation is exactly as follows (importance from top to bottom):
1. Zen CAN to drive your headphones as an addition to the Zen DAC
2. A better power supply for Zen DAC eg. iPower mk2
3. Balanced cable between your headphones and Zen CAN
4. Balanced cable between the Zen DAC and Zen AMP like this one

I hope that clears the thing up :)
A very late reply. So the Zen Can and the Zen Dac will they both require a separate power supply or just the Zen Dac when connected to the Zen Can
Thanks

A very late reply. So the Zen Can and the Zen Dac will they both require a separate power supply or just the Zen Dac when connected to the Zen Can
Thanks
The Zen DAC can be powered by the USB Audio Source
The Zen CAN always requires it's own power supply

Hope this clears things out :)

Thankyou everyone for the advice.
So I got the zen can as recommended and connected the zen dac with a balanced cable and also jumped into tidal streaming. Massive jump in sound quality . So very pleased with this. So I listen on Nighthawks with a balanced cable. Now I have a pension payout so looking to maybe upgrade the headphones for something better. Have a budget of £1400 top. Is it worth getting just some good headphones for the set up I have, or could I get a better experience changing everything within my budget. Does the set up I have give justice to a headphone in this price range or should I be looking at lower price headphones.

Last edited:
So I got the zen can as recommended and connected the zen dac with a balanced cable and also jumped into tidal streaming. Massive jump in sound quality . So very pleased with this. So I listen on Nighthawks with a balanced cable. Now I have a pension payout so looking to maybe upgrade the headphones for something better. Have a budget of £1400 top. Is it worth getting just some good headphones for the set up I have, or could I get a better experience changing everything within my budget. Does the set up I have give justice to a headphone in this price range or should I be looking at lower price headphones.

Try and demo some headphones if possible, but you could get something like the Audeze LCD-X and still have £300-400 for a more powerful amp (recommended).

You could also try Equaliser APO with the Peace GUI to add some EQ settings if you arent already. It seems a bit forboding at first but once you get started it's fine.

Do you use a streamer? If not, getting the 109 Pros and a streamer will greatly enhance your listening experience :)

Do you use a streamer? If not, getting the 109 Pros and a streamer will greatly enhance your listening experience :)

No I don't just tidal in from pc to the zen dac and zen can.

No I don't just tidal in from pc to the zen dac and zen can.
Nice! If you want, you can pick up a great pair of headphones right now, like the aforementioned 109 Pro, or something from Hifiman. Are there any particular sound characteristics you're looking for?

so getting a streamer like the ifi stream will be better than the pc outputting the sound. Im up for this. Will the streamer require another ethernet connection or can I split the ethernet connection from the pc or better to have anther cable to the streamer

so getting a streamer like the ifi stream will be better than the pc outputting the sound. Im up for this. Will the streamer require another ethernet connection or can I split the ethernet connection from the pc or better to have anther cable to the streamer
You can connect a streamer, like the ZEN Stream for example, via WiFi as well, should that be more convenient for you. If, however, you'd like to use an Ethernet connection, then using something like a splitter to connect both the PC and the Streamer via cables should pose no issues either. Have you considered connecting via WiFi?

I have just ordered the ifi stream and the Meze 109 pro to go with my zen dac and zen can. Lets see how I get on. The zen dac I have will now be just a dac so will a zen sig dac be the way to go or is the zen dac ok for what I have.

Last edited:
I have just ordered the ifi stream and the Meze 109 pro to go with my zen dac and zen can. Lets see how I get on. The zen dac I have will now be just a dac so will a zen sig dac be the way to go or is the zen dac ok for what I have.

I had a set of 109 Pro delivered on Wednesday, still haven't had a chance to listen but they look incredible

I had a set of 109 Pro delivered on Wednesday, still haven't had a chance to listen but they look incredible
I don't know how you can wait that long. I will be asking the postman to put them on my head.

I don't know how you can wait that long. I will be asking the postman to put them on my head.

I get quite a bit of headphone and associated gear, some of it doesn't get put on my head / in my ears straight away.

Only opened the Simgot EA500 on Tuesday after they were delivered over a week ago

I get quite a bit of headphone and associated gear, some of it doesn't get put on my head / in my ears straight away.

Only opened the Simgot EA500 on Tuesday after they were delivered over a week ago
I get way too excited with new stuff to wait that long. You have the patience of a saint :D

DPD delivered my Focals at 07.30. I don't get up that early to go on holidays. Unboxed them and gave them a few hours before I tried them. Photographs next. Enjoy them I think they'll be a delight.

DPD delivered my Focals at 07.30. I don't get up that early to go on holidays. Unboxed them and gave them a few hours before I tried them. Photographs next. Enjoy them I think they'll be a delight.
Here you go. I'm really pleased I tried these out. Could not be happier.

Attachments

• IMG_2734 (2).JPG
    IMG_2734 (2).JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_2735.JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2736.JPG
    IMG_2736.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2740.JPG
    IMG_2740.JPG