Desire Screen Ruined

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Hiya,

Bit of a worry here. Left my phone in my bag on the train home yersterday (on the high level shelves). Took my bag when I got off the train and took my phone out; the under screen is absolutely buggered.

Holding it at a certain angle you can see about 15 cracks from top right to bottom left. No outer damage whatsoever is evident, not even a scuff, so are the under screens prone to this sort of damage with what seems a minute level of 'turbulence'.

Just hope O2 replace it!

Cheers

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
I email O2 and they said as it's in warranty they will repair it (if they can) or replace it.

Not got round to phoning them yet though...

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Well it sound like the right arm of O2 doesn't know what the left arm is doing.

As above I emailed My Care explaining the problem, including damage with the 'under' screen. Their response was that it could be repaired or replaced under warranty so I phoned the number they gave to sort it out.

I was then told that the screen, despite what damage had occurred, was not covered under warranty. I argued saying that if there was a bad batch of screens, it still would not be covered under warranty. He said no it wouldn't/

I got arsey and said to him O2 are taking the **** and threatened to cancel the DD; he said doing so would result in action against me, to which I responded that no it won't. You either replace my phone for free or I cancel my contract. He threatend to hang up so I asked to talk to his supervisor.

Told her the same thing, and mentioned what My Care had said and she confirmed that I've been told different things, so she said she would check and get back to me.

She phoned back and said she can't promise anything but they may be able to do it for free.

I am waiting for confirmation but I will not stand down. A fault has developed that was not caused by physical damage so cost to me should be zero.

I finished by asking what does she expect me to; pay for a contract without a phone. A long silence was met!

I will even take it to HTC if I have to. Why are companies so happy to take your money but so reluctant to help you. Something needs to be done!

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Has anyone in a similar situation managed to get a different phone as a replacement. I have said many times on here that the battery life is a joke on the Desire, for what is meant to be a heavy use phone (email, internet etc).

Steven

Senior Moderator
Presumably you have told them the story of how the damage was caused. Your problem is arguing that irrespective of it being stored in a bag on a overhanging shelf instead of your person, it should nevertheless be able to withstand a standard rail journey
- versus -
The phone took more knocks than reasonable as you left it in your bag on the overhanging shelf and so it is your fault

Persuading them of the first thing means it falls within their statutory obligations to make it good for you. The second thing means you are relying on their goodwill only

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Presumably you have told them the story of how the damage was caused

Word for word. If there was any external physical damage it would be impossible to say it was accidental damage.

I'm not even sure it was the train, but it's the only thing I can think of.

The thing is, I was actually expecting to have to pay for it (before I emailed them), but as soon as they told me under no circumstance is screen damage covered under warranty, I changed my mindset, as that is not right.

To be perfectly honest, any monthly subscription should include the ability to make use of that subscription. Unless it is malicious damage, I should be entitled to a replacement/repair without needing extra insurance.

Companies are very happy to take, but very reluctant to give :thumbsdow

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Aren't there heater outlets at the top of those shelves?

Probably. But it was in a bag so not like it was in the direct path of the screen.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Heat doesn't stop just because something is in it's way. But heated enough it could cause the exact damage you describe.

Also, you're paying your monthly fee for a service, not for a product. The product cost is subsidised, but that is all. If you break your phone, accidentally or otherwise, this bears no relevance on the service you're paying for. There are plenty of other services operators are happy to sell you that do cover it, but the monthly line rental for a mobile service is not it. Nothing is stopping you from using this service, as you're free to use any other phone you wish to purchase.

It is also absolutely right that damage of any sort is not included in the manufacturers warranty. The only exception is if it can be categorically proven that the fault was due to a manufacturing defect, which cannot be proven here. You may wish to think this is the case, that it is the manufacturers fault, but it just isn't.

Warranty protects you from manufacturing faults.
Insurance protects you from loss and accidental damage.

The two are absolutely different to each other and have never been the same. Just because you have suffered a loss, this doesn't change.

Sorry for not providing warm and loving answers to your post, but I think you're being unreasonable to expect a replacement for free under a warranty that does not cover this.

If you disagree with this, I would question why you signed the contract and agreed to these terms. A contract is binding in both directions and just as you expect the network operator to keep to it - i.e. you'd be right to be angry if they cut your service off for no reason, breaking their part of the contract - you too must obey the terms you signed up to.

Last edited:

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
My HD2 had damage to the screen but nothing on the outside glass. My feeling is the inner screen can be damaged without damaging the outer part of the screen

In my case HTC advised that kind of damage wasn't covered by warranty.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Heat doesn't stop just because something is in it's way. But heated enough it could cause the exact damage you describe.

Also, you're paying your monthly fee for a service, not for a product. The product cost is subsidised, but that is all. If you break your phone, accidentally or otherwise, this bears no relevance on the service you're paying for. There are plenty of other services operators are happy to sell you that do cover it, but the monthly line rental for a mobile service is not it. Nothing is stopping you from using this service, as you're free to use any other phone you wish to purchase.

It is also absolutely right that damage of any sort is not included in the manufacturers warranty. The only exception is if it can be categorically proven that the fault was due to a manufacturing defect, which cannot be proven here. You may wish to think this is the case, that it is the manufacturers fault, but it just isn't.

Warranty protects you from manufacturing faults.
Insurance protects you from loss and accidental damage.

The two are absolutely different to each other and have never been the same. Just because you have suffered a loss, this doesn't change.

Sorry for not providing warm and loving answers to your post, but I think you're being unreasonable to expect a replacement for free under a warranty that does not cover this.

If you disagree with this, I would question why you signed the contract and agreed to these terms. A contract is binding in both directions and just as you expect the network operator to keep to it - i.e. you'd be right to be angry if they cut your service off for no reason, breaking their part of the contract - you too must obey the terms you signed up to.

I'm sorry but is it any wonder companies get away with ripping people off when people post garbage like this.

If you brought a brand new car on finance and it developed a fault within a few months through no fault of your own, which rendered it un-drivable, would you go and buy another car or would you go back to the manufacturer or dealership to get it fixed?

It is in no way different to a mobile phone contract as far as I am concerned.

Anyway, O2 told me, in writing, from first contacting them that it is covered under warranty. This was in November and they have not acted since, despite me chasing them.

I have told them today that if they don't sort it out within 7 days I am cancelling. I do not care what their T&Cs are, they told me 2 months ago it would be fixed under warranty.

Me to O2:

Hello

Mobile number is ************.

Bit of a worry. I've had an HTC Desire for a few months now and it's given me nothing but grief. The battery doesn't even last a day (and that's with WiFi, Bluetooth etc turned off), and I got home from work yesterday to find it won't turn on. You can see the screen light up around the edge but it's just a black screen. Holding it at a certain angle you can see the 'under' screen has about 15 hairline cracks in it, but there is no outer casing or outer screen damage at all, not even a scuff, so it hasn't been dropped.

Can it be repaired or replaced?

Thanks

O2 to me:

Hi ******** thanks for your email sorry to hear you are having difficulty
with your handset.
I would first suggest some fault diagnostics? with your handset for
instance try a hard reset on your phone backing up your info first of
all as this will wipe any details on the phone you can do this on o2
bluebook online or via the cd rom you got with your phone you can also
update the software via your pc using the cd rom if both of these
options fail
And as your handset is still within the warranty period we will be more
than happy to repair your phone for you if you contact our customer
service team on
(08702410202) we can get your handset booked in for repair or you can
put your handset into the O2 store for repair.

If you require a loan phone the O2 store can supply on for you there is
a £25 refundable deposit for this service
Kind regards
O2 customer service

D

Deleted member 27989

I think you are being unreasonable but hey you may get lucky through persistence. I would definitely advice you not to cancel your DD unless you want you credit rating hit with non-payment. Regardless whether you were right or wrong the non-payment marks will not come off, at best they get annotated.

As RobM said you also entered the contract and if you want to keep the highground you really do need to stick to your obligations and if found right get your money back later.

BTW The analogy with the car is rubbish ;-)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom