Question Designing a ceiling for home cinema - projectorscreen, speakers, sound insulation, misc?

puntloos

TL;DR: how would you design a noise-insulating ceiling that can carry a recessed projection screen.
Ideally would love to see an actual design of a ceiling - which layers did you use, thicknesses?

Longer:
Building a house from scratch. Timberframe. Passivhaus-ish insulation levels. Underfloor heating.

I assume a 'standard' ceiling already has a bit of space for things like lights and the odd smoke detector, wiring, but if I want to insert an electric projector screen (and ceiling speakers), how should I design things? Above the cine-living-room are bedrooms and bathrooms as usual.

Here's a spec sheet for a random screen): https://www.jp-uk.co.uk/media/product_pdfs/major-tensioned-datasheet.pdf - I haven't settled on actual screen brand/type yet but at a glance this is actually surprisingly close to what I want (1.2g, tab-t, 350cm wide 16:9)

- I assume a wooden beam to screw the screen into is ideal? Needs to carry 36kg with 4 brackets, 4 screws per bracket.
- 390cm wide for a 350cm tab tensioned

.. but my key questions:

1/ how high should the false ceiling be?
- The cassette+bracket is 139mm but I'd like the 'dangling part' to be recessed as well, if I can.
- Will bottom retract fully into the cassette? Or do I need to allow more space for the bottom of the screen to fully retract up into the gap?
- Should I allow a few extra cm should specs change? Aim for 150mm perhaps?
- Speakers seem to be even deeper - the MK IC95 - IC95 In-Wall/In-Ceiling - M&K Sound® | Official Site - seems to be 212mm including can.

2/ Is there anything you would do when it comes to noise dampening (bedrooms above the living room) either in the false ceiling, or in the actual ceiling?

3/ Any way to save space? Can we fit the speaker cans between the joists? What about stapling the screen to the side, rather than under a beam?

4/ Anything else you'd keep in mind?

Last edited:

januilo

Standard Member
I'm planning to design my home cinema from the scratch so it means, I will be building a new room for it. I prefer the basement at first but it has other stuff. I'm planning to extend a little and the ceiling could be around 4 meters up. Not sure but I think that would be good though.

ufo550

There’s a few threads here abouts on soundproofing. I‘m thinking of a recessed projector in a false ceiling, but I think you’ll lose a bit of height.

Re soundproofing, here’s some stuff to look at.

puntloos

There’s a few threads here abouts on soundproofing. I‘m thinking of a recessed projector in a false ceiling, but I think you’ll lose a bit of height.
Thankfully I have a more elegant solution for the projector.
Re soundproofing, here’s some stuff to look at.

Nice - thanks!