1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Designated input names seem to be uneditable on AX10Ai remote

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by WindBag, May 26, 2004.

1. WindBag

WindBag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a knotty problem which I seek a solution to when programming the AX10Ai remote.
    We can change all the button names and associated function of the designated inputs, but we fail to see a route to changing the designation of the top-level button labels themselves. This is a real problem, as the designated default buttons give redundant options, whilst not giving very obvious ones. I want to change DVD/LD to DVD/SACD, DVD-R/VCR1 to HDD/DVD-R. Having an 868, we don't have a straight CD player, for which we have a button, but the darned thing doesn't seem to understand that DAB radio exists. So at the moment, the digital optical from the DAB radio, which is coming in on digital audio input 4 (labelled SAT) is mapped to this, via the remapping facility. It's on "CD", not "Tuner" or "DAB", as neither appears in the remapping list ! So currently, I have to press "CD" to get DAB radio. This makes a top end system look stoopid.
    Unless it's me that's stoopid, which would be preferable right now.

Ironically, to play a CD or DVD, we cannot press DVD/LD (which I'd like to call DVD/SACD), as we see no way to tell that button to use the iLink connection when you press it.

So, to play either, we have to go to the third input page and press iLink. How obscure is that? If we could rename/relocate the iLink button (or indeed any button) it would be "all problems solved", but we see no mechanism to achieve this.

We've looked at the multi operation buttons, as its sub-page seems to be the best page for changing the amp input/output function (with 12 buttons given together). But the "add step" function doesn't give a step to invoke iLink. Pooh.

Suggestions welcome!

2. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the previous model, with a different remote, but it sounds similar. Remote is definitely very badly designed, in fact not designed at all!

You must have something not quite right in the 868 (or the AX10) config. Mine just uses iLink unprompted for CD/SACD. Also it switches input automatically to the 868 when you "play". What it doesn't do is switch to "direct" from a surround mode when playing CD's after a DVD. It's surprising how bad CD's can sound in cinema surround modes.

I can't change those top level names (but we use the sky+ remote & 868 remote for almost everything). But you can change what is displayed on the front of the amp. So my Amp says "DVD&CD" when I select DVD/LD, Sky+ when I select SAT etc. The Sky+ remote in "TV" mode switches to the next source when the "stop" button is pressed. So we can just press it until the right name shows on the Amp. Yes it is stupid.

Isn't radio better on Freeview than on DAB (higher bit rate)? Certainly we just use SKY for radio. But then we can't have DAB even if we wanted (reception). But you could change the nae displayed on the amp to DAB.

3. WindBag

WindBag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, we found that too, and gleefully changed all the amp dipsly names to be correct - and so expected to be able to do the same on the remote control. which is important, because: the amp is beside us, next to the sofa pointing at 45 degrees to the middle of the room, at the bottom of the hifi rack, only 6 inches off the floor - where you can't see it. So the display we can't see we can change, the display we can, we can't (erm...)

You never spoke a truer word.

I'll investigate the 868, but I want to use one remote control, as all the Pio blurb said I could.

That also might be a help, but not a solution (haven't investigated that yet). Might help the analogue downconvert problem, too...