Desert Island DVD - with a difference!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Oct 18, 2001.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

A small challenge for you all. There's been posts before about what particular film/series of films people would take to a desert island, if they had to. However, I have a slight variation on this.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you can take one DVD disc, with a super-lightweight, solar-powered complete DVD and home cinema setup. (Yes, I know this ain't real, but for the sake of argument... indulge me! ;) )

The DVD disc can hold up to 3 hours of the best picture, plus audio tracks in any format (e.g. stereo, DTS, mono, whatever).

On this DVD, you can have 3 hours of absolutely anything, but no more than 1 full-length movie can be included. Thus, "Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan" would be okay, but not both of Walt Disney's "Lion King" movies. (Again, for the sake of argument, any trailers and adverts will run for 2 minutes each!)

My question, to you all, therefore, is a) what movie would you have on the disc, and then what would you fill up the rest of the DVD with?!

Here's my offering:

1) First and last episodes of 1980's classic puppet series "Star Fleet". (50 minutes)

2) Original trailers for each of: "Three Colours Trilogy", "Betty Blue", "Akira" and "Cannibal Holocaust". (12 minutes)

3) The Simpsons - Pilot Episode "There's No Place Like Home" (22 minutes)

4) The original Pearl & Dean cinema trailer. (2 minutes)

5) Three "Kia-Ora" drink adverts, from the cinema. (6 minutes)

6) Three Colours: Blue (subtitled in English, with the original French dialogue in DTS). (95 minutes)

Pooch

2. Koosnaff

Koosnaff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats easy - As Good As It Gets (133m) - a very underrated movie, with first class performances by all involved - especially Verdell (the dog); and the first and last episode of Captain Scarlet (50m)
    (I would have the title sequences for the Captain Scarlet episodes removed to drop the extra 3 minutes)

3. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still thinking on this one but Pooch could you enlighten me on this Star Fleet series you mentioned and perhaps any websites on it. It sounds familiar but I can't remember what it was about.
    :)

4. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that!
    It was the show I was thinking of. I've been wondering about that for a couple of months now, it was in the back of my head when I spoke to a friend about old kid's shows and I could remember 1 show (this one) that had something that joined up into some sort of robot and I was sure it was live action/puppets rather than cartoons.
    sorry to go off topic everyone.
    I agree with Pooch then on this being a must on the Island as I want to see it again :D