Quantcast

Desert Island CDs ...

RMCF

Don't remember this thread being done before on this site (if it has apologies).

I believe the show uses 10, but how about your Top 5 CDs to take?

As I have just thought of this, haven't really had a good think about mine yet, but I know straight away that The The - Infected would be one.

Also, if 'Best Of' albums would be allowed then Sinatra would also be one.

Still considering the other 3 ......

themoid

Smashing pumpkins - siamese dream
Aimee mann - bachelor no.2
Kathryn williams - over fly over
Weezer- weezer
The Cure - seventeen seconds

avoided best of's, list would change depending on my mood at the time I was banished to the island :D

GaryB

Distinguished Member
10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe
Natalie Merchant - Ophelia
Hem - Rabbit Songs
Alice Martineau - Daydreams
Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky

BTW - themoid. Nice to know that someone else has heard of Kathryn Williams. My favourite from her is "Old Low Light".

Kenny Glasgow

I hate doing these things. Anyway here goes my selection tonight (tomorrow will be different)

The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album)
Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
Elton John - Captain Fantastic
David Bowie - Stationtostation
Pink Floyd - Meddle

CrispyXUK

Hmmm, a bit hard

1: The Beatles - Magical Mystery tour
2: Radiohead - OK Computer
3: Propellerheads - Decksanddrumsandrockandroll
4: Massive Attack - Mezzanine
5: Youi Misumi, Asuka Sakai, Yu Miyake, Akitaka Tohyama - Katamari Damacy Soundtrack

lovemunkey187

Novice Member
Really don't like doing these so I'm gonna cheat :D and choose "Best Of..." type albums

FNG - Suicidal Tendencies, My all time favourite band, I like them so much I got one of their logos tattooed onto my chest.
Reinventing The Steel - Pantera, Heavy Metal doesn't quite cover them.
45 RPM - TheThe, although I would prefer London Town 1983-1993 but a 5cd box set is taking the persistance
Tha Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash, No need to explain.
Devil Without A Cause - Kid Rock, An album I never tire of.

S

shadowritten

This must be the hardest post I've ever submitted ... but here goes:

1) Tori Amos: 'Boys For Pele' (probably still the best of all her albums)

2) Rachmaninov: 'All-night Vigil' (undecided as to which recording)

3) Kate Bush: 'Hounds Of Love' (her finest work, though tough call between this and 'The Dreaming')

4) Finzi: 'Cello Concerto/Ecologue For Piano And Strings' (the Naxos recording, no doubt)

5) Del Amitri: 'Lousy With Love - The B Sides' (an under-rated gem of a 'best of' from an under-rated band)

lovemunkey187

Novice Member
shadowritten said:
1) Tori Amos: 'Boys For Pele' (probably still the best of all her albums)
You rate this album that highly? It's a while since I listened to it but I didn't think it was as good as Under the Pink or Little Earthquakes.

Will have to give it another listen to see if I can appreciate it more than I did.

S

shadowritten

lovemunkey187 said:
You rate this album that highly? It's a while since I listened to it but I didn't think it was as good as Under the Pink or Little Earthquakes.

Will have to give it another listen to see if I can appreciate it more than I did.
'Little Earthquakes' and 'Under The Pink' are class acts, no doubt. But 'Boys For Pele' has a certain maturity about it - like she's finally broken away, once and for all, from the early Tori (ever heard 'Y Kant Tori Read', incidentally? This was her real debut album, and sounds like 80s LA rock/pop!). Tracks like 'Marianne', 'Hey Jupiter', 'Caught A Lite Sneeze' and the sublime 'Putting The Damage On' are, of course, the stand-out numbers; but you've also got treats like 'Not The Red Baron', 'The Doughnut Song', 'Little Amsterdam', 'Way Down', 'Twinkle' and 'Muhammad, My Friend'. And that's not to forget the superb opener: 'Beauty Queen/Horses' ... which I couldn't get out of my head when I first heard it.

lovemunkey187

Novice Member
shadowritten said:
'Little Earthquakes' and 'Under The Pink' are class acts, no doubt. But 'Boys For Pele' has a certain maturity about it - like she's finally broken away, once and for all, from the early Tori (ever heard 'Y Kant Tori Read', incidentally? This was her real debut album, and sounds like 80s LA rock/pop!). Tracks like 'Marianne', 'Hey Jupiter', 'Caught A Lite Sneeze' and the sublime 'Putting The Damage On' are, of course, the stand-out numbers; but you've also got treats like 'Not The Red Baron', 'The Doughnut Song', 'Little Amsterdam', 'Way Down', 'Twinkle' and 'Muhammad, My Friend'. And that's not to forget the superb opener: 'Beauty Queen/Horses' ... which I couldn't get out of my head when I first heard it.
I'd heard of "Y Kant...." put never saw it to pick it up, so no I never heard it.

Do remember that "Caught a Lite Sneeze" was my fave track off of the album though. Going to give this a listen later.

@Home

Beatles - Revolver

Abba - The Visitors

Abba - Super Trouper

Simon & Garfunkal - Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme

Erasure - Wild

The Beatles 1967 - 1970 (Blue Album)

S

shadowritten

lovemunkey187 said:
I'd heard of "Y Kant...." put never saw it to pick it up, so no I never heard it.

Do remember that "Caught a Lite Sneeze" was my fave track off of the album though. Going to give this a listen later.
Go to hearinmyhead.com and choose diagnosed sound. Search about and you'll find MP3s of the 'Y Kant ...' album for free, cos its deleted now and she don't like talking about it.

davesater1

Novice Member
O.K. Computer - Radiohead
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Harvest - Neil Young
Screamadelica - Primal Scream

This is too hard ..............erm................

?????????????????? - I give up.

lovemunkey187

Novice Member
shadowritten said:
Go to hearinmyhead.com and choose diagnosed sound. Search about and you'll find MP3s of the 'Y Kant ...' album for free, cos its deleted now and she don't like talking about it.
Cheers for the link. I'll check it out tomorrow afternoon when I get up.

S

shadowritten

lovemunkey187 said:
Cheers for the link. I'll check it out tomorrow afternoon when I get up.
No worries. Here's the direct link to the page you're after - though check out the whole site for the thousands of bootlegs and deleted stuff, too. I've amassed quite a collection of obscure Tori tracks from here.