1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

derren brown

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Mr Cat, May 9, 2005.

1. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    did anyone see this on friday night - when that guy was playing the video game...!! wow...if he wasn't a stooge then that was great... impressed! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    If he wasn't a stooge, then it was a bit worrying. Should it have been allowed?

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Missed it, what happened ?

4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    basically this -

bascially he set up this specially designed arcade game in a bar that was controlled behind the scenes by this guy, the game was a 3d game (like doom etc) - but contained loads of vampires and you had to shoot them (he was holding a toy gun) whilst not killing people who were alive...but this guy behind the scenes was controlling the amount of vampires etc and also some strobe lights that hypnotised the player! So, within a few minutes the player was comatised (his mates were just looking on) - derren then comes out and explains what is going on (but the player is unaware what is going on!) and puts the player on a trolley and carts him off to a real office block that is identical to that of the game - with the same lights, corridors etc, they then left the guy there holding a laser gun and they ring this bell...he comes around and looks a bit startled!! He sees the woman he shot (in the game) lying on the floor - then loads of vampires come after him..! He then shoots them for real...scary stuff like, then he gets trapped in a room with all these vampires trying to kill him (think - shaun of the dead - the end in the bar...) where Derren comes and puts him back in a trance and takes him back to the pub and stands him in front of the game... A bell rings again and he wakes...and he thinks is the best game he's ever played!

5. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    It was superb, but freaky. I would be dissapointed if he used stooges in any of his stunts. I suppose it's all hypnotism and suggestion.

Saw one of his live shows a couple of years ago. well recommended if you get the chance.

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    I must confess, that particular item seemed to me to be well beyond the bounds of what's acceptable in a programme like that. I don't much care what happens to people in shows like Big Brother or I'm A Celebrity... because the people on there sign up for the experience beforehand. But in this case you had an entirely unsuspecting member of the public subjected, without warning, to what I can only describe as a form of psychological torture.

He was clearly terrified and very confused while it was going on, and the level of realism was extremely spooky. It wasn't just high quality zombie make-up: when he "shot" an encroaching "zombie" (they were zombies, and not vampires), blood-stained bullet holes appeared in its chest in a very realistic way in time to the shots (done in the same way as it's done in films).

One should also note that the state induced by the arcade game was not hypnosis. Derren described it as a "catatonic trance" - a state which has more in common with the after-effects of an epileptic seizure than with hypnosis.

I was also a bit uneasy about how the victim was re-entranced in order to put him back in front of the machine. The original state was induced by things like flashing lights - but there weren't any flashing lights there at that point. So how was he knocked out again? Whitlow's method (pressure on carotid artery and vagus nerve)? All in all I felt decidedly uncomfortable throughout the item. (A shame, as I usually enjoy Derren Brown).

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Man that sounds totally freaky and I could never condone anything like that.

Is it repeated? ;)

...PJ :)

8. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  9. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
  10. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    if i was the guy in the arcade i think i'd have gone mad (in the mad sense not the angry one :D ) christ can you imagine waking up in resident evil!!

like other people though i did question the morals of this stunt.

for ther record i love watching him - my other half thinks that he actully is an alien how can he do the things he does? i understand alot of it is suggustion but he's still amazing.

Gary

11. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Derren Brown's act is a rather ingenious fusion of different elements - as he says, magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship. Some of what you see is genuine psychology and suggestion - he was a stage hypnotist for a while, and knows a lot about neuro-linguistic programming. He has also been an illusionist (Paul Daniels style) and a lot of what he does is that sort of illusion - what you think is going on isn't necessarily what is actually going on. What's unusual about his act is the rather clever way he combines those two elements in such a way that it's impossible to see the join.

As with any magician, most of his tricks need to be analysed rather carefully - ask yourself what's the minimum that needs to happen for the final result to be achieved.

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

As I've said before in another thread on this very topic, I found this stunt to be rather silly and pathetic. Either the guy who was "brainwashed" must have been totally gullible, or else he's just really, really gullible.

I didn't find the stunt offensive, and I'm certain his friends must have partly been in on the joke, otherwise I think there would have been legal issues about whether they could have shown it in the show.

I do like Derren Brown, but this stunt was just really dire!

Pooch

13. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    It has nothing whatever to do with being gullible, any more than whether or not you are one of those "viewers with photosensitive epilepsy" (that the announcer is always talking about on Sky) is a measure of gullibility, or experiencing confusion as the result of taking too many hallucinogenic mushrooms is a measure of gullibility.

The video game was, if you like, specifically intended to cause problems for viewers who have photosensitive epilepsy.

Have you never in your life woken up from a highly realistic dream and felt disoriented for a few seconds before you were able to remind yourself that what was just going on wasn't real? Suppose that what was going on around you in reality during those few seconds of disorientation exactly matched what had been happening in your dream, and that your disoriented state lasted for minutes rather than seconds, and was far more profound. What would that be like?

I imagine that various release forms had to be signed after the fact in order for the item to actually be broadcast, and I've no doubt Derren had no problems persuading them to sign - he's a very persuasive person. But I still question the morality of the stunt in the first place.