DER TD6213 CRT help needed

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Atiq, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Atiq

Atiq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Every one! My first post so please don't laugh. Below is purely for sentimental reasons.
    I inherited this ex-rental set some 20+ years ago. It had given me a wonderful service. Since last week it started playing up. First of all the picture would go dim for a few seconds and then brightened up as normal. Following day it happened more frequently as I switch it on but eventually settled down after a few minutes. This morning it came on for a while and then picture disappeared completely, sound is still there though for all the channels but no picture.
    I know it might have to be thrown away if the tube is gone but in the absence of a Circuit diagram, I do not have a clue. If it is worth repairing, I would like to a have a go. Any ideas to what could be wrong guys! Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    Dry joints on the crt heaters pins on the crt base...pins 5&6 (marked with "h") if I remember correctly... also trace the wiring from here to the main pcb and solder this end as well.

3. Atiq

Atiq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks JAYCEE! This would be at the back end of the CRT right! God it has been a long time since I opened one of these things.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    Yes that's the crt base.

5. Atiq

Atiq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    JAYCEE! Many thanks m8. Sorted! Amazing what a good advice with a bit of soldering can do. The hardest bit was to get rid of all the dust on the main board. CRT pins had a lot of carbon. Very fine sand paper came in handy there. All working fine now.
    Thanks again.

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    Glad you got it sorted, I used to service them in the field many moons ago and they were far better made than most modern sets...I recognised the symptoms...this was a very common fault.
    Have a merry Christmas :thumbsup:

7. Atiq

Atiq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jaycee!
    You are spot on about the picture quality m8 and that was one more reason why I was reluctant to bin it. I would say that despite its age, the image is equal to, if not better, than some of the other models I have purchased in the recent past. Thanks again.