depth perception/picture immersion issues on LED tvs

ruko

Novice Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone else here is uber sensitive to the technology on LEDS where its sharpened to try and emphasise depth and finds the picture really jarring/a turn off and totally ruins immersion/enjoyment? I ask as after talking to countless tv tech ppl in Richer Sounds (and Currys) they say a few ppl have sensitivity issues with this...(its only in modern tvs)..it seems its because tvs are built towards 3D and gaming now and there is no LED tv without it....

For contact I do art as a profession and have OCD so notice everything and cannot unseen something once seen...I do not have the issue with oleds as the whole screen is much more consistently holistically done so no jarring.....but being disabled/on benefits wondering if I can honestly take any chance with an oled knowing I have my tv on maybe 14 hs per day with all content from everything from news/daytime crappola to boxsets and films... its that, get an old school style HD tv with fire stick or an LED that will jar....no idea how to decide..hence wondering if anyone has ever had a similar issue??

Curious if anyone else here is uber sensitive to the technology on LEDS where its sharpened to try and emphasise depth and finds the picture really jarring/a turn off and totally ruins immersion/enjoyment?
A TV's sharpening setting has nothing to do with the depth of the picture - it's an artificial attempt to make a softer picture look sharper and it can't change the depth of focus, as that is determined by the director of the content you're watching. If you don't like a TV's sharpness setting, then you can just turn it down or off, where it'll have no effect on the picture. What size and type of TV have you been watching up until now ? If you're used to watching an SD picture on a small TV and are making the jump to an HD or 4K picture on a larger TV, then the extra clarity and sharpness (with the right content) will take some getting used to.

I ask as after talking to countless tv tech ppl in Richer Sounds (and Currys) they say a few ppl have sensitivity issues with this...(its only in modern tvs)..it seems its because tvs are built towards 3D and gaming now and there is no LED tv without it....
I wouldn't say that TVs are just built towards gaming but manufacturers have introduced an increasing number of gaming features on their TVs in recent years (due to the ever-expanding console/gaming market), but none that are to the detriment of normal TV viewing.

For contact I do art as a profession and have OCD so notice everything and cannot unseen something once seen...I do not have the issue with oleds as the whole screen is much more consistently holistically done so no jarring.....but being disabled/on benefits wondering if I can honestly take any chance with an oled knowing I have my tv on maybe 14 hs per day with all content from everything from news/daytime crappola to boxsets and films... its that, get an old school style HD tv with fire stick or an LED that will jar....no idea how to decide..hence wondering if anyone has ever had a similar issue??
It sounds like you prefer OLED to LCD, in which case buying an OLED is obviously the way to go. Uneven pixel wear ('burn in') appears to be less of an issue these days but if you are concerned about it due to your viewing habits, then there are simple precautions you can take to reduce the risk.

A TV's sharpening setting has nothing to do with the depth of the picture - it's an artificial attempt to make a softer picture look sharper and it can't change the depth of focus, as that is determined by the director of the content you're watching. If you don't like a TV's sharpness setting, then you can just turn it down or off, where it'll have no effect on the picture. What size and type of TV have you been watching up until now ? If you're used to watching an SD picture on a small TV and are making the jump to an HD or 4K picture on a larger TV, then the extra clarity and sharpness (with the right content) will take some getting used to.

I wouldn't say that TVs are just built towards gaming but manufacturers have introduced an increasing number of gaming features on their TVs in recent years (due to the ever-expanding console/gaming market), but none that are to the detriment of normal TV viewing.

It sounds like you prefer OLED to LCD, in which case buying an OLED is obviously the way to go. Uneven pixel wear ('burn in') appears to be less of an issue these days but if you are concerned about it due to your viewing habits, then there are simple precautions you can take to reduce the risk.
The tv tech definitely affects how I SEE the depth that is what I mean.... eg blurring the background more, emphasising outlines etc..(this is VERY hard to explain unless I literally was stood bt a tv with you and showed you as Im trying to describe a perception of something visual...Im VERY sensitive to it. I had a 32 inch HD tv before this and miss the picture badly....I don't like what Im seeing..I can't get an oled as have have too much news/daytime rubbish etc on in the daytime and will worry myself silly about burn in as I can't afford to replace a tv for 10 yrs....I was genuinely trying to find if there were others like me who were v sensitive to tv processing..I understand what yo mean by the directing which Im fine with but I can "see/feel" extra processing that jars my vision badly in a nanosecond and driving me crazy!! I really dislike ANYTHING that feels fake and sees this is the way ppl like tvs is all..( with the exception of OLEDs)...I suspect the tech in LEDS is trying to mimic OLEDs and to me it doesn't work as parts of the screen are completely flat and others not and it kind of feels like a jigsaw puzzle gone wrong not a nice holistic pleasant image..:) I may have not explained myself v well also.... thank you for the reply @mikej

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom