1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Dubbing Mixer, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure if this belongs in LCD or Plasma because I can’t make up my mind which I should be going for so I’m posting it in both.

I’ve been a member of these forums for a couple of years or so now and have enjoyed the badinage and gained much useful knowledge. (And, I hope, imparted a little as well)

I was an early adopter of the Panasonic AE 100 LCD projector, largely due to the information gathered here. Touch wood, I’m still happy with it.

Does anyone else find the current situation with plasma and LCD somewhat depressing? I’ve never before been in the position to buy without having a sensible choice of product waiting for my cash.

Here I am with £12-3500 burning a hole in my pocket and there is nothing in the 32” – 50” area that really floats my boat. Perhaps this is just one of those times when you need to sit on your hands.

I would have jumped in for a Sharp GA4E but can’t be ar*ed to chase around every retailer in the country to get a screen that might well have several dead pixels. At the other extreme, I have enormous respect for the Pioneer 505 but, the price is just scary for such a volatile technology.

I’m not sure what I’m trying to achieve with this post but I’d really like to buy a big, thin, flat screen and I’m just not convinced there is one out there at the right price with enough future proofing and a long enough life. (I keep my screens for at least ten years unless they fail, terminally) I guess I’m hoping someone is going to say, “ go for this, now.” Because… But, without any real expectation that they will.

I think it is rather a sad reflection on the global industry that the money is here waiting and the product doesn’t seem to be.

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You could of course be waiting for ever if you're after the 'ideal' product. There's at least two new flat screen technologies supposed to be coming to retail this year so do you wait for them to mature? Or will something else be coming by then that you should wait for.....

I just set myself a limit of around £1000 and said when LCD or Plasma came to that price I'd get one. After a false start a couple of months ago I've just ordered a 32" LCD for under a grand. It might be average or it might be good and it will definitely be half the price in a year or so but it has all the sockets I need right now. That's all depending on me getting a confirmation of order though.

CRT, LCD, Plasma, OLED and SED will all have some good and bad points for the next few years at least, so how long do you want to wait?

3. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Short answer is, I don't want to wait long. Otherwise the money will disappear on fritaries such as bills. But I do want HDMI 1080 p&i plus PC connectivity, good contrast and long life. Not sure I've seen anything that fits the bill - yet.

4. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lc45 sharp or a hidef panny plasma?

5. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or how about a Sharp GD1E? £1900 for a 32 incher at the moment. And there are a few GA4s on the internet still.

6. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I agree with you. If I had the money you had right now I would get the Philips 9986.

7. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've always had problems with Philips products from razors to TVs and videos. Maybe just bad luck, but I'd take an awful lot of convincing to invest in them again. I have checked the 32PF9986 out though. Whilst the picture was great, the sound wasn't and the styling just isn't me. The 30PF9975 has the styling but not the contrast, aspect ratio or response speed.

If I'm going to spend anything like the higher end of the budget range I mentioned, it will only be for a set that is likely to last ten years and not be hopelessly outdated both technically and aesthetically.

Truth is, I'd rather spend around £1000 now on a half way decent 30-32" LCD and sit on the rest until the dust settles a bit. To judge from the way prices have been going this seems likely to be an attainable goal by the summer. I guess I'm just going to have to be patient.

8. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I agree I have always had problems with Phillips products and the same applies to their LCD screens. It may be possible to get a decent picture , but look at all the firmware problems, component issues they have had. Why can they not make a decent product that works properly first time? Go for the Sharp mate I did after being in this plasma/LCD mental battle!

9. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm in exactly the same state as you mixer. Sat here with the cash ready to buy the right product and its just not there - don't want the Philips as there's no 1:1 pixel mapping and it doesn't have separate component and HDMI inputs. Don't want the GD1E because of the uneccessary media box. Maybe a GA3 if any still exist.

The only thing that might float my boat - 45" Axium DLP rear projector apparently on the way shortly, and that only because I don't want to wall mount it.

And one more plea to manufacturers. Speakers, make them removable. Please.

Nick

10. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kind of what I did. I got the Tosh 32WL48 for £1300 which was the only thing advertised as HDCP ready, and had some favourable reviews from the first buyers. I had originally been prepared to spend around £3500 but I just don't think you're getting your money's worth at that price. I'm very happy with my Tosh :) and with the money saved will consider buying something newer in a few years time and putting the Tosh in another room. For my viewing, the only thing I'd really like to see improved is the blacks. No LCD will give really great blacks (though with the correct lighting and settings it's getting there). If OLED is the thing to overcome this then that's what I'll be looking at - and that's probably still a few years from being production ready, with teething problems sorted at 32" plus

11. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Ginger,

I'll go and check it out. I'm a little worried about the contrast though. 500:1 isn't great, as you've already said.

12. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not totally sure what to make of this contrast ratio number. The screen it replaced - the 32WL46 was quoted at 800:1. When I asked Tosh about this, they said the new screen was designed to better match HD inputs via HDMI - but without explaining further. I can't see why they would have gone for a "worse" screen if that's how to interpret the ratio - nothing else about the 48 is "cheaper" than the 46 so pure cost reduction seems unlikely - especially in face of the competition. It may well be that a straight comparison of contrast ratio number doesn't tell the whole story. I never got a chance to do a really good comparison with the 46 to see if I could tell a difference, either in blackness of blacks or detail in dark scenes. Best try and get a look at one in real life, with a carefully chosen DVD to test it.