1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dubbing Mixer, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure if this belongs in LCD or Plasma because I can’t make up my mind which I should be going for so I’m posting it in both.

I’ve been a member of these forums for a couple of years or so now and have enjoyed the badinage and gained much useful knowledge. (And, I hope, imparted a little as well)

I was an early adopter of the Panasonic AE 100 LCD projector, largely due to the information gathered here. Touch wood, I’m still happy with it.

Does anyone else find the current situation with plasma and LCD somewhat depressing? I’ve never before been in the position to buy without having a sensible choice of product waiting for my cash.

Here I am with £12-3500 burning a hole in my pocket and there is nothing in the 32” – 50” area that really floats my boat. Perhaps this is just one of those times when you need to sit on your hands.

I would have jumped in for a Sharp GA4E but can’t be ar*ed to chase around every retailer in the country to get a screen that might well have several dead pixels. At the other extreme, I have enormous respect for the Pioneer 505 but, the price is just scary for such a volatile technology.

I’m not sure what I’m trying to achieve with this post but I’d really like to buy a big, thin, flat screen and I’m just not convinced there is one out there at the right price with enough future proofing and a long enough life. (I keep my screens for at least ten years unless they fail, terminally) I guess I’m hoping someone is going to say, “ go for this, now.” Because… But, without any real expectation that they will.

I think it is rather a sad reflection on the global industry that the money is here waiting and the product doesn’t seem to be.

2. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dubbing mixer m8 think what you seek is what has been searched for since adam was a lad when you live in a competitive society perfection will always be out of reach, always the way with technology. If my new screen lasts ten years I'll probably be to old to bother about a replacement, been watching telly for the last three years on a second hand 21" set tha cost me £40 so I'm using a good chunk of my nest egg to upgrade

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I assume you want it all, great picture now, 720p/50Hz for sky HD and blu ray, stunning good looks etc. The perfect display does not yet exist, sorry. Nearest approach currently seems to be made by NEC, together with a scaler. At your kind of budget, you don't have to be depressed, you can have it all, and great sound too. That's enough to get you a serious install with a 50" plasma, top end scaler, maybe sky+ SDI, all digital DVD, which coupled with a 720/50 capable display will be future proof and present perfect.

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Perhaps I didn't make the budget sufficiently clear. It is £1200 to £3500. I can't see even the upper end of that gettting me a 50" plasma plus scaler. The sound side of things isn't an issue and is already well catered for. But, the set must have half way decent speakers because it will be used by the whole family and they can't be bothered with the full-on surround system for casual viewing.

I'm still watching a seventeen year old 21" Sony on a daily basis in my den and the current main set is 32" Sony crt that's nearly eight years old. I really don't like buying screens very often if I can help it and I don't like paying more than I think a product is worth to me ;)

So, maybe I do want the impossible but really it's just that the line representing the decline in prices just hasn't crossed the line representing what I am prepared to pay for a given feature set - yet. If the present trends continue I reckon it will happen in the summer, I'm just getting bored waiting.

I think around 3.5k is the right price for a 50" Pioneer and 1.2k for a half decent 32" LCD. The Pioneer is already down to just over 4k with stand and speakers, if you look hard enough and the Sharp was practically on the money, so I don't think I'm too far out of line.

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    PS Not even remotely interested in Sky in any shape or form. But am interested in the best results from terrestrial, analogue and digital. However, prime concern is PQ and compatibility with whatever flavour of HDDVD finally rises to the top of the heap.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ah, read that as 12k!!!! Digital terrestrial, and a VP5 is more your mark then. It the £35 end, if we are talking video only, I'd go NEC XM3 and a iscan HD, this is about £3300, leaving you enough for a Pace or Thompson twin tuner HDD freeview. If you need surround as well for that, leave out the scaler for the time being.