Depression - keen to know other peoples coping mechanisms and experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's good to hear , nowt new here lol , still haven't put the wife under the patio yet :rotfl: , not been tempted to drink so it would appear as though that is firmly behind me , won't be back at work until the beginning of July at the earliest , and that's the big thing at the moment , trying to keep myself occupied , thanks for asking :thumbsup:

Its strange working in a hospital at the moment, the one im in has green, yellow and red zones. Luckily im only in green zones just now.
Adds a bit of anxiety now and again when i think about it but it usually passes.
Just glad im thinking about work.
Glad your doing ok bud👍

Doing OK, yourself?

I'm starting to get cabin fever I think and have another 6 weeks at least yet 😩

I can't help but wonder, do cabins get people fever?

You have too much time on your hands :D

Absolutely sick of being stuck inside my own head. I've got music or podcasts or audiobooks on 24/7 just so I don't have to keep hearing myself think.

Got properly caught and mauled by 'the big black dog' today. Can't even meditate which is a bad sign.

Got to get better soon.

I have some ambient tracks on in a playlist (mostly Brian Eno) when working, that makes a difference as I live on my own.

Off topic - I went out for a walk earlier this evening and a guy jogged past - in a lightweight Buzz Lightyear costume!

Well iv ebeen working from 8am till around midnight, absolutely shattered.
Mind working overtime and i feel my thoughts are drifting and im becoming anxious now.
Not a good feeling

Paul I'm sorry to learn about your struggles. This is a testing time and losing someone during this time makes the grief harder.

I've been doing some deep thinking to work out who I am as a person and whats going on with me. I keep saying I'm OK and I feel fine but there are areas of my life I'm just not paying attention to and that's where I've worked out I am in a rut and working my way through. Losing my husband has been highlighted during lockdown and I have definitely been escaping my emotions so I've given in and allowed myself to just cry and feel the pain. Each day I try and tackle just one thing I've not done... Simple things like cobwebs which I never allowed to happen before he died. Everyday I smile, do something goofy and laugh because to me, that makes me happy and keeps me going. I'm genuinely happy within myself but I am not completely there yet.

Anyway, I just wanted to check in as I haven't been on here for a while. I hope everyone is trying to get through each day because thats all that matters. That we see the end of the day. I found my husbands suicide note 6 months after he died and I have a better insight into how he felt and it's been hard to process but equally makes me want to help others as it's a lonely place but there is always a reason to see tomorrow. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to let you all know there is always someone that cares and will listen.

Stay positive JJ

Absolutely sick of being stuck inside my own head. I've got music or podcasts or audiobooks on 24/7 just so I don't have to keep hearing myself think.

Got properly caught and mauled by 'the big black dog' today. Can't even meditate which is a bad sign.

Got to get better soon.

are you able to get out for a walk at least ?

Well iv ebeen working from 8am till around midnight, absolutely shattered.
Mind working overtime and i feel my thoughts are drifting and im becoming anxious now.
Not a good feeling

sorry to hear this , are you able to not work the overtime , surely your employer would understand .....

Paul I'm sorry to learn about your struggles. This is a testing time and losing someone during this time makes the grief harder.

I've been doing some deep thinking to work out who I am as a person and whats going on with me. I keep saying I'm OK and I feel fine but there are areas of my life I'm just not paying attention to and that's where I've worked out I am in a rut and working my way through. Losing my husband has been highlighted during lockdown and I have definitely been escaping my emotions so I've given in and allowed myself to just cry and feel the pain. Each day I try and tackle just one thing I've not done... Simple things like cobwebs which I never allowed to happen before he died. Everyday I smile, do something goofy and laugh because to me, that makes me happy and keeps me going. I'm genuinely happy within myself but I am not completely there yet.

Anyway, I just wanted to check in as I haven't been on here for a while. I hope everyone is trying to get through each day because thats all that matters. That we see the end of the day. I found my husbands suicide note 6 months after he died and I have a better insight into how he felt and it's been hard to process but equally makes me want to help others as it's a lonely place but there is always a reason to see tomorrow. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to let you all know there is always someone that cares and will listen.

Stay positive JJ

thank you for posting , i'm sure you know that talking about this is a good thing , so don't worry about how long the posts are , have you still got support from family , or mental health , are you getting out , I know the legal options for that are still limited but are you ? , I don't know if you are an animal person , if you are , have your considered even getting a hamster , might sound daft but it will give you something to love and cherish , maybe you would benefit , yes I know it sounds mad but you never know how the littlest things might help !!!

Take care and please post back when you can 😻

sorry to hear this , are you able to not work the overtime , surely your employer would understand .....
Unfortunately im working in a hospital with complex programming involved, some of the areas need to be done out of hours and no one else knows the site like me.
Ill be fine, first bit of overtime in a while so im putting it down to that.

Cheers for the reply

Unfortunately im working in a hospital with complex programming involved, some of the areas need to be done out of hours and no one else knows the site like me.
Ill be fine, first bit of overtime in a while so im putting it down to that.

Cheers for the reply

no problem , keep plugging away :hiya:

After struggling for a number of weeks i went on the NHS App last night and went through the process of describing my symptoms which goes through to my GP Surgery. A doctor from there rang me this morning and he's prescribed me Sertraline . Does anyone have experience of this medication? I'm paranoid about possible side effects . Doctor seems to think it's depression i have, he knows best,i thought it was anxiety and stress. I'm a high risk and have the shielding letter,mentally it's tipped me way over,also manifesting into physical symptoms, headache, acid reflux ,stomach pain. Every day is an ordeal at the moment, i'm working from home but it's all just tough going.

After struggling for a number of weeks i went on the NHS App last night and went through the process of describing my symptoms which goes through to my GP Surgery. A doctor from there rang me this morning and he's prescribed me Sertraline . Does anyone have experience of this medication? I'm paranoid about possible side effects . Doctor seems to think it's depression i have, he knows best,i thought it was anxiety and stress. I'm a high risk and have the shielding letter,mentally it's tipped me way over,also manifesting into physical symptoms, headache, acid reflux ,stomach pain. Every day is an ordeal at the moment, i'm working from home but it's all just tough going.
Sadly, because there's no real explanation of how SSRI drugs actually work, even within the medical community, it's almost impossible to predict. All people react to different anti-depressants differently

Having said that, Sertraline and citalopram have some of the lowest reports of serious side effects so hopefully you'll not react too much to it.

I've been on Sertraline for maybe two years now and it has been the absolute best of my experiences with SSRIs. I'm on 150mg daily which is as high as they generally push it. I had excruciating headaches and sleeplessness for a week when they increased it from 100-150mg but since then, nothing really.
For brain drugs, that's pretty good going. I took Mirtazapine for 6 months and put on 2 stone!

You can read the reported side effects online but ultimately it's a wait and see. As with all these types of things, once you've been on it 6 weeks you'll automatically do a cost/benefit evaluation. "Am I getting enough emotional benefit to make these side effects (if any) worth it?"

Sorry for a super vague answer.
I would 100% recommend finding some free talk therapy to compliment it, if you can. I think I left some recommends earlier in the thread.

Stay brave.

I've been on Sertraline for a year first few weeks I had headaches but after that I've been fine, but it might affect you differently, there are alot of SSRIs, one which will work for you.

@tanglung my wife is on 200mg daily and has been for about 6 months, prior to that she was on 100mg for around 18 months, she gets the occasional headache but other than that she hasn't had any other side effects.

As others have said it will be a case of seeing what works for you.

I hope you're doing OK.

Thanks for the replies - not sure whether to start them to be honest, worried about the side effects.

So I have depression and have had so for some time now. I'm in 200mg Sertraline a day for the last 5 and half years. The only side affects I get is down below, but there are tablets that help that 😁 .
But I've noticed I've started to snap at my partner for no reason 😣.

Thanks for the replies - not sure whether to start them to be honest, worried about the side effects.

I have been on 200mg for about 5 months without issue , I intend speaking to my doctor to try and start decreasing a bit , they are not a cure all though , you need to talk to someone as well , good luck 👍

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom